ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Not-so-mini review of CrashPlan backup software

<< < (4/12) > >>

JavaJones:
Update: CrashPlan has reached 270MB peak memory use (for the service). Now back down to ~245MB. Still not the 400MB I saw previously, but higher than I'd like. Will continue to monitor...

- Oshyan

JavaJones:
Update #2: It's official, the CP service has reached over 400MB. :( It's been running continuously for the last several days, no reboots or sleep. There are 10 files it can't backup (due to permissions I think), which I haven't bothered excluding yet. Other than that there is nothing unusual going on and no reason I can see why it would be using this much memory when, in the midst of backing up 100s of GBs a few days ago, it barely used more than 200MB. Very odd.

- Oshyan

Jibz:
That sounds like a bit much :huh:.

Here it sits at around 40 MB, but like mentioned I have it set to use 0% cpu while I'm present and 80% when I'm away (gone for more than 5 mins). I have no idea what it uses when I'm not at the keyboard, and don't really care much as long as it doesn't bother me while I am here working :-[.

JavaJones:
Yeah, I suspect it has something (a lot, hehe) to do with the fact that I'm backing up 846GB+675GB=1.5TB, consisting of 294,000+351,000=645,000 files. So yeah, I imagine having to process and keep in memory that many file references (or something?) is at least partly responsible. Still, it seems like there should be a more efficient way. If nothing else maybe cache the backup list to disk and unload it from memory when not in use? I dunno. I'll play with the various tuning settings to see if I can improve it at all.

- Oshyan

Jibz:
That is a rather sizable portion of data :D.

I don't know if breaking it up into backup sets might help. I have one set for my work which has the highest priority, one for images, one for user folders and one for other stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version