ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Not-so-mini review of CrashPlan backup software

<< < (2/12) > >>

Armando:
Thanks. Well written and interesting. I also read your, ahem, "blog post" (chapter?).  :) Which reminds me that I need to backup to my off site hard drive...

JavaJones:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Glad this was a helpful review. You can probably guess I don't do many "mini" reviews because they all turn out a bit less than mini like this. ;)

Jibz, how long have you been using CrashPlan? How much data do you backup with it? Do you have the Family version?

- Oshyan

sajman99:
JavaJones, I am happy to join the chorus of positive comments.

Very nice comprehensive review. :up:

Jibz:
Jibz, how long have you been using CrashPlan? How much data do you backup with it? Do you have the Family version?
-JavaJones (March 30, 2011, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've been using it for about 2 months now, backing up 20 GB of data. Now that all the data is uploaded, I got it set to only perform backup when I've been away from the computer for 5 mins.

I chose not to get the family plan due to the way it works like one account. I was planning to use it on our laptop as well, but I don't want that to have access to all the files on this machine. So I went with the one unlimited license and then I can buy a separate 10 GB one for the laptop if needed.

tomos:
great review Oshyan :up: thanks!

The friend backup option is really a genius feature. Essentially if you and your friends have some spare hard drive space, you can each help each other provide off-site redundant backup for the others. Form a network of 3 people, each agreeing to buy a 2TB external drive for backup purposes, and it's likely you can each have 2x off-site backups of all your data, along with 1 on-site backup (to the same 2TB drive).
-JavaJones (March 29, 2011, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
-
as this works presumably online too (i.e. slow for large quantities), I wonder can one make an initial backup locally on the drive and then give/send it to the friend?
Similar to their 'seeding' idea of sending out a drive that you can do your backup to & then return.

==================
On another note it sounds like they dont do partial file backup (?)  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version