ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Not-so-mini review of CrashPlan backup software

<< < (3/12) > >>

iphigenie:
I love the seeding and per-post DVD option, if I were in the US that would be a killer feature. As it is with my current backup services I self censor what I backup because it is just too slow to be worth it. So I dont use 20% of my 100Gb space and that is a shame, really..

Also it's great to see another option supporting linux - what's behind it, amazon S3?

JavaJones:
tomos, yes you can do a "seed" approach with a friend backup too. Just take their drive/system over to your house, attach it to your computer/LAN, do the initial backup, then they go back to their place and the backups continue. Pretty awesome. Same could be done by mail for more distant friends.

Not sure what you mean about partial file backup? Are you talking about only backing up the changed blocks of a file? In that case yes, they definitely do that. Also general deduplication, so if you have for example 3 copies of an identical file in several locations that are being backed up, it will only backup 1 actual file and just make references.

iphigenie, I think they have their own data center/collocation, not sure. With S3's storage prices I doubt they'd be so cavalier about offering truly unlimited storage if they weren't on their own system. I believe they get the fantastic cross-platform support from a Java front-end.

- Oshyan

tomos:
tomos, yes you can do a "seed" approach with a friend backup too. Just take their drive/system over to your house, attach it to your computer/LAN, do the initial backup, then they go back to their place and the backups continue. Pretty awesome. Same could be done by mail for more distant friends.
-JavaJones (March 31, 2011, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
wunderbar :-)

Not sure what you mean about partial file backup? Are you talking about only backing up the changed blocks of a file? In that case yes, they definitely do that.
-JavaJones (March 31, 2011, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
-
is it called delta backup as well?
e.g. I have a database file of roughly 100MB - if the complete files gets backed up each time, I could fill 10GB with it fairly rapidly. If it just copies the changed blocks of the file that sounds good.

mahesh2k:
 Nice review :up:

JavaJones:
Yep, just copies the changed blocks. "Delta" might also be a term for it.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version