ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Advice on a [learning] JavaScript IDE?

(1/3) > >>

barney:
Folk,

A friend/client of mine has suddenly taken it into mind to learn JavaScript (oi, vey!), and they (man & wife team) have asked for advice on an IDE that would help them.  Told 'em I'd check with some experts of whom I know  ;D.

They asked specifically about a couple of Antechinus products, Code Chameleon and JavaScript Editor, neither of which I've ever used ... the price on Code Chameleon isn't bad, but the price on JavaScript Editor strikes me as rather dear if it is a one (1)-trick pony.

Anyone with experience of either product?  Or perhaps you can recommend something similar?  I don't think they'd cavil at spending less than $100, so mention of a reasonably priced product would not be amiss.

Renegade:
I can't speak to those, but over the years I've found JS editors to be very very far behind others. They should NOT expect Eclipse or NetBeans or VS quality. From what I've seen, JS editors are primitive.

However, I do hope to learn something from someone with more experience than me there. I would love to see a good JS editor! (I could also certainly use one!)

barney:
Yeah, that's my thinking as well.  An intelligent JS IDE would certainly be welcome in my tool box  :P.  Komodo Edit does a fair job, but nowhere near what it does for other languages.  It's a surprise to me that, given AJAX, JQuery, et.al., no one has produced anything truly functional - perhaps a few online editors, but those are seldom convenient - besides which, I ain't found one yet  ;).

housetier:
There is Cloud 9 IDE which supposedly is a primary Javascript IDE.

Some of my hacker friends quite like it, I have only looked at it from afar, not actually used it. But it doesn't look too bad at all.

cranioscopical:
Speaking as a neophyte, I find Jetbrains' PyCharm quite helpful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version