topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Chocolate Milk: The New Sports Drink?  (Read 3227 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Chocolate Milk: The New Sports Drink?
« on: March 02, 2006, 11:28 AM »
http://www.cbsnews.c...md/main1342839.shtml

"[Milk] is a sports drink ‘plus.’ It will supply you with things you need whether or not you’re working out."
A new study shows that plain old chocolate milk may be as good -- or better -- than sports drinks like Gatorade at helping athletes recover from strenuous exercise.. published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism.

linked from monkeyfilter.com

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chocolate Milk: The New Sports Drink?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Cool!  I still love milk!

On a similar note, my friend is a professor and excercise & physiology phD and he just did a preliminary study that essentially says that men who are slightly overweight actually live longer than the skinny guys.  When I say slightly overweight, I don't mean obese, just the typical belly and a little extra weight  that men gain as they age.  The point was that it was a misconception that those 50-60 year olds with the six packs and the gym rats weren't necessarily healthier than a normal guy who eats normal and just simply takes care of himself.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chocolate Milk: The New Sports Drink?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 06:40 PM »
One thing not being taken into account here, and something any Cross Country runner can tell you -- you don't want dairy on your stomach before, during or immediately after a hard run.  It coagulates in there, makes you feel terrible, and then comes forth violently.

While, scientifically, it might look like a good option . . . it's not a particularly good one for an athlete -- unless they do something silly like curling. :)

My favorite was always cranberry juice to cool off, then earl grey tea.