ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Android Apps Do You Use?

<< < (48/49) > >>

MilesAhead:
I used to have a Moto e5 plus phone.  It came pre-configured shake the phone toggles the flashlight.  I got a OnePlus N10 5G phone and missed that feature.  I found an App that works even when the screen is off.  Shake-Torch is free and may be downloaded from the Google Play Store.  My phone has Android 11 so I assume the app is backward compatible to recent Android versions.

tomos:
^ thanks, will try. I also miss that feature since I moved on from Moto

dantheman:
For better security, "an open DNS recursive service for free security and high privacy":
https://quad9.net

4wd:
For better security, "an open DNS recursive service for free security and high privacy":
https://quad9.net
-dantheman (February 02, 2022, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Also ControlD's DNS: https://controld.com/free-dns

You can choose from preconfigured filters (just enter the appropriate DNS: IP4, IP6, DoH, DoT):

* Unfiltered,
* Malware,
* Ads & Tracking,
* Social,
* Family Friendly,
* Uncensored
Or create your own custom filters (a DNS URL for DoH and DoT will be created) from:

* Ads & Trackers,
* Adult Content,
* Dating,
* Drugs,
* Gambling,
* Government Sites,
* Malware,
* Social,
* Typosquatting
If you sign up for a paid service you get access to more filters as well as other things like Smart DNS for geo-restricted content - they're a separate service of Windscribe VPN.

xtabber:
@milesahead:
Sounds like a DRM problem to me.

I'm sure there is software that is able to strip DRM from books, so a tool like Calibre can convert it to a different format that make it easy to read in your favorite reading software on your computer. Whatever this may be.

You are not allowed to use such software, and you probably shouldn't. Still, there is also something to say that you should be able to read your book on whatever device you own after purchasing that book. And as long as that book never "leaves" your library, the author/publisher/distributor aren't really hurting on the financial end. No harm, no foul.

-Shades (August 12, 2021, 01:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

DeDRM Tools is a set of plug-ins for Calibre that will remove DRM from most purchased (but not rented or borrowed) Kindle/Nook/Kobo/Adobe ebooks.  I use it for many ebooks I buy from Amazon, Adobe or B&N in order to read them in programs that handle footnotes and cross-references better than Kindle or Adobe Reader, or when I just want to keep an archival copy.  Note that for Kindle ebooks, you will usually need to have available an older version of the Kindle reader for PC or Mac, or a very old Kindle device, in order to download a file in a format from which the DRM can be removed. That usually means a second PC or device.

DeDRM seems to have recently been forked and has a new developer who goes by the name noDRM.  This lengthy mobileread thread follows its development.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version