ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Android Apps Do You Use?

<< < (46/49) > >>

erikts:
EDIT: v5.6 has disappeared from F-Droid, (looks like they only keep the current and previous two versions).

Old versions here: https://k-9-mail.en.uptodown.com/android/versions
-4wd (August 03, 2021, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Should I uninstall the newest version before installing v5.6? Thanks

Shades:
@milesahead:
Sounds like a DRM problem to me.

I'm sure there is software that is able to strip DRM from books, so a tool like Calibre can convert it to a different format that make it easy to read in your favorite reading software on your computer. Whatever this may be.

You are not allowed to use such software, and you probably shouldn't. Still, there is also something to say that you should be able to read your book on whatever device you own after purchasing that book. And as long as that book never "leaves" your library, the author/publisher/distributor aren't really hurting on the financial end. No harm, no foul.

MilesAhead:
I'm sure there is software that is able to strip DRM from books, so a tool like Calibre can convert it to a different format that make it easy to read in your favorite reading software on your computer. Whatever this may be.

-Shades (August 12, 2021, 01:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

My understanding is that Amazon uses its own encryption on top of the DRM.  It seems the only way to strip the file of all the crap involves using the Amazon physical kindle reader device.  If I want to read an Amazon kindle book on the Windows Amazon Kindle app I have to buy it from my Windows laptop.  The alternative is to send the book to the Web Reader thing at Amazon to read it with any web browser.

The Android sharing thing would be okay but I have not been able to find one of those Android tablets with attached keyboards for small money.  At least not one I can pick up at Walmart.  Those Samsung tablets get into the $800 plus range very quickly.  I may as well buy a Laptop if I am going to spend that kind of money.

I am reading a SciFi novel on my phone.  I guess I will acclimate in time.  I used to have a little RCA 7" tablet with keyboard that was fine for reading eBooks.  But they are very slow booting, as in 5 minutes plus, and tend to have old versions of Android along with small storage and less than a gig of ram.  So I was hoping to find something similar but a bit more capable.

Using the phone is likely the easiest way out though.   ;D

Edit:  It turns out there is an updated version of the RCA Voyager Pro 7" tablet with keyboard.  The price is 65 bucks plus shipping.  No more in store pickup.  It has 2 GB ram but still only 16 GB storage(which is likely closer to 12 usable) so booting is likely to still be an exercise in patience.  I already have a Windows laptop with 11.6" screen, plus I hate to have computer stuff shipped to the shelter.  If I get a subsidized apartment then it will depend on the mailbox situation if stuff like that would be cool to ship etc..  No telling how long before a permanent address pans out.  I feel like life is hovering over the back burner.  I just got a state ID after nearly 10 years without one.  Movement seems to be glacial.  I guess they figure if they wait long enough you'll die making your problems moot.   8)

4wd:
EDIT: v5.6 has disappeared from F-Droid, (looks like they only keep the current and previous two versions).

Old versions here: https://k-9-mail.en.uptodown.com/android/versions
-4wd (August 03, 2021, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Should I uninstall the newest version before installing v5.6? Thanks-erikts (August 11, 2021, 11:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, export K-9's settings first, uninstall it, sideload 5.6, and import the settings - you will need to enter any passwords for accounts, they don't get exported.

Also, I'm not sure but the earlier versions from UpToDown might auto-update since they're just the APK pulled from the Play store whereas F-Droid versions are built by F-Droid from the repo without the Play store link so can't auto-update.

I've attached F-Droid's 5.6 version.

Downgrade instructions at K-9 Mail's forum.

4wd:
For transferring files to/from my phone, I just use the Android version of Total Commander. With that I can connect through WiFi with my cabled computer. You can get extra modules for this version of Total Commander to use the LAN directly. Or FTP/SFTP or even directly using just WiFi between 2 devices. All for free.-Shades (August 11, 2021, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Started using KDE Connect since they've recently released a Windows client, (Windows 10 only):

Features listed as working in this beta build include:

Shared clipboard to/from Windows and Android
    See phone battery and signal strength on desktop
    Remote Input (i.e. use your phone as a mouse on Windows)
    Notifications sync
    File transfer
    Pause Music
    Multimedia remote control
    Presentation Remote
    End-to-end TLS encryption
    WiFi connection
    Run custom commands on the desktop remotely
    Locate your phone
--- End quote ---

To date it has been the easiest method by far for devices on the same WiFi network that I've ever used.

Right-click a file->Send to->Send to remote device via KDE Connect for the computer, select a file and Share via KDE Connect on Android - then select the device you want to send it to.

All versions available from here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version