ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Android Apps Do You Use?

<< < (33/49) > >>

tomos:
Any tips for SatNav for Android? (in case relevant: for use in Europe)
I'm coming from a Windows phone so dont have a clue where to begin.

See this mention from 2015 -
OSMAnd+ Maps & Navigation
-4wd (December 29, 2015, 10:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have found openstreetmap better than google maps on occasion.

x16wda:
I've used Here WeGo (in the US, but it has global maps). You can download the maps for offline use, I installed this on my wife's iphone for use at the women's march in Washington in case there were too many other people to get a cell signal (which there were). Also used it in the back woods of North Carolina when Siri couldn't get a signal (which made me smile). It has worked well for me when I needed it.

Link for the en_US page is here.

4wd:

See this mention from 2015 -
OSMAnd+ Maps & Navigation
-4wd (December 29, 2015, 10:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have found openstreetmap better than google maps on occasion.
-tomos (July 17, 2018, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you've got a data connection Google Maps is pretty good, (I used it throughout Ukraine), but I also had MapFactor Navigation installed for OSM offline maps - I found OSMAnd very slow when it came to scrolling around.

If you go to MyMaps on your computer you can plot your route in Google which then becomes available under Google Maps on the phone, (Menu->Your Places->Maps), you can set it as the route to follow rather than your usual options of shortest or quickest.

eg. My Ukraine routes depending on what happened when I got there.
What Android Apps Do You Use?

Traffic condition monitoring is pretty good in Google Maps too.

I've used Here WeGo (in the US, but it has global maps).-x16wda (July 17, 2018, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

It might have changed but from when I had it installed it wouldn't work in China, (including HK), due to the Chinese Government, no map downloads were available, (same with Google Maps).  Obviously irrelevant if you never plan on going there but something to be aware of if you are, rather than find out when you're there.
The same is applicable to some other destinations.

You had to use something OSM based if you wanted Chinese maps.

iphigenie:
HERE is available on Android - it's the Android variant of the nav used on Windows phone, and has the "offline maps" option which google maps do not.

-tomos (July 17, 2018, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

tomos:
^^^thanks all for the tips.
Will try Here (WeGo) & MapFactor Navigation

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version