ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Android Apps Do You Use?

<< < (27/49) > >>

wraith808:
I find the same thing.  I have more apps than you, and every time I pick up my Nook, there's a swath of updates.

rgdot:
Thanks wraith. Even in 2016 I find it  to be too much, too frequent. Assuming it is bugs or security, because it is surely not new features this often, how many bugs (that I almost never notice anyhow) or security issues can apps really have and even then how are they really fixing them so frequently. Very odd, to me any way. The play store's what's new notes are often unhelpful too.

cyberdiva:
I too have been astonished at how often some apps are updated on Android.  Two thoughts have occurred to me: 1) the developers are not very experienced and thus are having to make very frequent corrections, or 2) the developers are amazingly conscientious, much more so than Windows developers, and thus are quick to repair any flaw and are constantly working on making the app better.

Whatever the truth is, it's interesting that the developers are willing to invest so much time and thought into these apps which are often free or extremely inexpensive.   I know that's true of a lot of DC developers, but I thought you guys were a rare breed.  :)

Deozaan:
having two plus updates a month for example.
-rgdot (October 18, 2016, 10:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Two a month. That's cute. :)

It seems like Google apps have an update every couple of days.

[rant] It's part of the rapid, iterative development mindset. Push out lots of little changes, quickly and often. In some ways it's good. Instead of having to wait 6 months or a year (or longer) for lots of new features to arrive, and practically have to learn a new product when "the big update hits" you get them all as soon as they're ready and learn how to use them one at a time. But it also changes how we pay for things. When you had a single large update where lots of new features were added, it made sense to charge an upgrade fee for it. But now with constant updates a little at a time, people don't feel like any one change is worth an upgrade fee, so developers start charging an ongoing subscription. [/rant]

I've disabled automatic updates on my device. I usually just click "Update All" once a month and ignore any prompts about app updates until the next time I'm ready to update them.

wraith808:
I've disabled automatic updates on my device. I usually just click "Update All" once a month and ignore any prompts about app updates until the next time I'm ready to update them.
-Deozaan (October 19, 2016, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's getting bad enough that I've been thinking about doing the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version