ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Android Apps Do You Use?

<< < (13/49) > >>

CWuestefeld:
I just got a Droid X a week ago, so I'm still getting my bearing. But here's what I've found so far:

* GO Launcher EX - More attractive than the built-in launcher, with more features
* Beautiful Widgets - attractive and functional clock and weather widgets
* Jorte - The built-in calendar app is unacceptable. This offers pretty good functionality, including some nice widgets. (But it seems that we're still behind apps I had on my Palm a decade ago)
* ES File Explorer - better UI than must, but the defining feature to me is that it can access SMB and FTP shares
* AVG Anti-virus - anti-virus, as well as lost-phone locker/finder
* GO Contacts - more usable than the built-in
* GO SMS Pro - nice, threaded conversations with a great widget
* D7 Google Reader - native app for Google Reader. It's the only one I could find that allows access to Google's prioritized list of articles, and decent offline formatting
* PowerAMP - music player
* Quick Settings - simpler, more direct access to most commonly-changed settings
* Photo Tools - calculators for focal length, exposure, etc.
* LunaSolCalMobile - info on solar and lunar positions, for planning photography. Nice widget
* GoldenPicLite - Like LunaSolCal, but doesn't have widget. But it does show golden hour times
* Pro HDR Camera - really just a toy, but a fun one. Take HDR pictures with the onboard camera
I'm now trying to learn a couple things. First is how to sync my music library using MediaMonkey on the desktop (this is complicated by the fact that connecting my Droid as a mass storage device causes a blue screen). Second is effective use of Tasker, for more fine-grained automation of the device (like, automatically turning on GPS when I run a navigation app, or silencing the ringer whenever I'm at work). I'd be interesting in hearing any input you folks might have on those things.

Ath:
That's a nice list you compiled for us!

I'd like to try most of the calendar and contact ones, but I've already installed so many apps I don't want to lose, that the memory is almost filled :D

Instead of Tasker you mentioned, I'm using the free Timerific, and that's just fine for me as I'm on nearly the same weekly schedule most of the time, and that doesn't support location-based switching (gps/wifi), like Locale does but that is even more expensive then Tasker :o (but has a lot of extensions/plug-ins).

AFAIK, GPS in enabled state hardly uses any power, and is turned on automatically by apps that want to use it, so you probably don't need a scheduler/tasker for that.

xtabber:

* Jorte - The built-in calendar app is unacceptable. This offers pretty good functionality, including some nice widgets. (But it seems that we're still behind apps I had on my Palm a decade ago)-CWuestefeld (April 14, 2011, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

As a Palm user for 15 years, I was also shocked by the lack of functionality of Google Calendar when I moved to Android last year. I have also been using Jorte and found it adequate for my needs, but if you really need a lot more capability in a calendar app, look at Pimlical from the developer who wrote the Datebk extender for the Palm calendar app.  If it were to get better contact management too, I might switch to Pimlical on both Windows and Android and dump Outlook, which I use only as a PIM, altogether.

CWuestefeld:
look at Pimlical from the developer who wrote the Datebk extender for the Palm
-xtabber (April 14, 2011, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Datebk is exactly what I had in mind when I made my comment.

As a calendar app, Pimlical looks like a winner. However, the web page makes no mention of a widget to display my agenda in my launcher "home page". That's a deal breaker for me. If he gets around to that feature, count me in.

phitsc:
Or just use the Android Agenda Widget I've presented in my Android widget micro reviews. It comes in many different sizes, is highly customizable and the free version comes without restrictions or adds (so you have enough time to test it and play around with it before you buy the 2$ paid version ;) ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version