ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Android Apps Do You Use?

<< < (40/49) > >>

4wd:
I use K-9 Mail. Is it safe not to update/upgrade? IIRC Android will nag me if I don't update certain app.-erikts (September 22, 2020, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Whether you update K-9 depends on whether or not you like the changes they're implementing, the complete loss of single-hand usage and dropping out of the app instead of switching back to the account list pretty much killed any idea of updating from its current public release for me.

I just thought there are others here who use K-9 who might like a heads-up and, as I said, this is still the beta version atm.

Unfortunately not really anything you can do about the nagging, I have no auto-updates set anyway - just means I now have to scroll down the list to make sure I don't accidentally tell it to update K-9.

I haven't found any other email app that suits my usage style in the last 10 years so it's a bit ... annoying ... that they've seemingly gone the way of every other mail app I've tried.

erikts:
Whether you update K-9 depends on whether or not you like the changes they're implementing, the complete loss of single-hand usage and dropping out of the app instead of switching back to the account list pretty much killed any idea of updating from its current public release for me.
-4wd (September 22, 2020, 11:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't like the up coming change. Thanks for the heads up.  :Thmbsup:

rjbull:
If you don't want to use K-9 Mail, what are you going to use?  Most of the alternatives I glanced at wanted an insane number of permissions.

This has come into sharper focus for me because I've used a Yahoo! UK email account for ages.  Now, Yahoo!  are desperate to make users adopt Yahoo!'s own app for 'security' reasons.  They may be offering a work-around, but it would be nice to have alternatives.

4wd:
If you don't want to use K-9 Mail, what are you going to use?-rjbull (October 13, 2020, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll just use the current public release until it doesn't work anymore due to some stupidity on Google's part.
Then I'll have another look around to see what's available, if nothing is suitable I'll just not use email on the phone.
It's convenient but it's not essential, if it was essential they'd ring.

Most of the alternatives I glanced at wanted an insane number of permissions.
--- End quote ---

This is the fault of Google I think, bundling things together, eg. tying Bluetooth LE scanning to the need for location to be enabled.
What I've found even more annoying/stupid is that some email programs I've tried, instead of adding Gmail account settings within the email program, (as K-9 does), when they see you're adding a Gmail account they switch to the Add Account settings of the phone, get you to add your Google account there, then use them to get OAUTH permission to access the account.
End result is you have multiple Google accounts on your phone where you only originally might have had one - all wanting to sync info.
Some, like Bluemail, store the account info there but it isn't added to the phone as a separate Google account.

Deozaan:
A new spammer account just tried to post about a fake version of this, which was probably filled with malware, so I figured I'd go on record with the real version, which I just learned about this past week:

YouTube Vanced
YouTube Vanced is the stock Android YouTube app, but better! Includes adblocking, true amoled dark mode and a lot more.

* Features the option of an amoled black theme to reduce eye and battery strain.
* Blocks All videos ads and allows you to play videos in the background or in Picture in Picture (only on android 8.0 and up)
* Swipe controls allow you to control brightness and volume like how it is in other video player apps such as VLC or MX Player (with configurable padding).
* New auto repeat feature allowing you to enjoy videos like tiktoks/vines or simply continue playing a song on loop.
* Not liking the new comments section or miniplayer? Those also can be toggled to the tablet versions which are very similar to the old version (albeit slightly buggy).-https://vancedapp.com/
--- End quote ---

If you're wondering about the name, it's "YouTube AdVanced" i.e., without the ads.

It includes even more features, such as options to skip sponsored segments (where the YouTuber talks about some sponsor), skip self-promotional segments (where the YouTuber tells you to like, subscribe, become a patron, etc.), or even skip intro/outro segments.

The problem is that the official version doesn't appear to be on the Play Store, but there are a slew of copycats available that most likely contain spy/adware if not outright malware. So get it here:

https://vancedapp.com/
https://github.com/YTVanced/VancedManager/releases

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version