ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Android Apps Do You Use?

<< < (36/49) > >>

city_zen:
After a (fairly) long hiatus, I'm posting in this great forum again  :)

Here's a list of most of the interesting Android apps I'm using. I didn't include some I use a lot because they are either too niche or local (country)-specific

These are the ones that I think will be of most interest to other forum members:

[*] aCalendar+: a different user interface for Gmail calendar (needs Gmail calendar as the back end) with some great additional features
[*] Adobe Acrobat: the Android version of Acrobat Reader. I just prefer to read pdf files with it than with other, more general, readers
[*] Bromite: in their own words "Bromite is Chromium plus ad blocking and privacy enhancements". Not my default browser, though
[*] CPU-Z: the Android version of the program. Lots of information about the smartphone's hardware
[*] Droid Info: similar to CPU-Z, but with some different info reported about the smartphone's hardware
[*] Flipboard: a magazine/RSS reader with a great interface. Can be customized with your own interests/news sources
[*] FolderSync: allows you to sync folders either within the device (including the SD Card, if present) or between the device and a cloud folder (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.)
[*] Forvo: pronunciation app. Ideal for example for when you're wondering how to pronounce that difficult foreign word
[*] JuiceSSH: a nice SSH app. Can be enhanced with plugins
[*] Keepass2Android: a great app to keep your Keepass database available on your smartphone
[*] LAN drive: allows you to have a SMB server on your phone, accesible by your PC, for example. I use it to transfer files wirelessly between the phone and PC
[*] Moon+ Reader Pro: a wonderful reader app. After trying a few others, I settled for this one to read eBooks on my phone
[*] Movie Mate: an app that connect to your Trakt account and allows you to manage your movies (Watchlist, History, Ratings, etc.). There's alsoSeries Mate for TV series
[*] Network Cell Info Lite: gives you information about the signal strength of both your cell connection and your wifi connection. Lots of other info available (cell towers, maps, etc.)
[*] Nodescope: the best storage usage app I could find. If you're wondering what's using your phone's internal memory, as well as the SD card, this app has a very intuitive way of presenting that information
[*] Nova Launcher: to me, the best launcher for Android. It's a matter of personal preference though as there are a lot of diferent launchers out there (Lawnchair Launcher seems to have good reviews, for example)
[*] Opera: my default browser. I just prefer its user interface to Bromite's. Otherwise, I would use Bromite
[*] Phonograph: a music (/audio) app. Not too different from others, but simple and with a nice interface
[*] Ping Tool: as the name implies, a ping app to check different (customizable) hosts. But also with a lot of other features: DNS lookup, IP scanner, etc
[*] RealCalc: a calculator app. Has the interface of a classic scientific calculator
[*] SD Maid: a maintenance app. Allows you to free some space by deleting unnecessary files and folders and to "vacuum" SQL databases
[*] SkyView Free: just point it to the night sky and discover the names of the stars you're watching. Also planets, the ISS, the different constellations, etc. Wonderful app for those interested in astronomy
[*] Snapseed: a great photo editing app. Bought by Google a while ago. Very powerful, but at the same time not too complex. I just wish it would allow me to use a custom folder to save the edited images
[*] TED: the official TED Talks app for Android. Lots and lots of interesting content there (as those familiar with TED Talks know)
[*] VLC: video player app. I don't do a lot of video viewing on my phone and VLC is more than enough for my needs
[*] Wifi Analyzer: for quickly finding the signal strength of the local and neighboring wifi netwoks
[/list]

List made using List My Apps

I apologize for not including the links to each app. Most of them I install from either Google Play or F-Droid
List updated with the links for each app, thanks to the suggestion of List my Apps by rjbull

rjbull:
I apologize for not including the links to each app.-city_zen (January 06, 2020, 12:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

As they say, "there's an app for that", viz. List My Apps.  I've used it in a simple way here, but there're more features than you'd expect; see under Annotations, and the variables in the Templates.  There was already a template for BB code - I've modified it for DC, though I can't now remember why.

What Android Apps Do You Use? What Android Apps Do You Use? What Android Apps Do You Use? What Android Apps Do You Use? What Android Apps Do You Use?

This generates a list like this;

Alarm Plus Millenium
Package name: com.milleniumapps.milleniumalarmplus

App Search+
Package name: rjt.appsearch

ArsClip Mini
Package name: com.joejoesoft.acmini

BookmarkFolder
Package name: com.coconuts.webnavigator

CalcTape
Package name: de.sfr.calctape

Glance Note
Package name: com.fangleness.glancenote

HalnaOutliner
Package name: jp.blogspot.halnablue.HalnaOutliner

List My Apps
Package name: de.onyxbits.listmyapps

Stopwatch & Timer+
Package name: com.jupiterapps.stopwatch

Total Commander
Package name: com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander

X-plore
Package name: com.lonelycatgames.Xplore

List made using List My Apps

--- End quote ---
[/list]

wraith808:
I was using Glance Note, but stopped... it started having problems syncing with SimpleNote.

List My Apps isn't in Google Play though, right?

4wd:
List My Apps isn't in Google Play though, right?-wraith808 (January 13, 2020, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.onyxbits.listmyapps

Or, if you prefer F-Droid:

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.onyxbits.listmyapps/

4wd:
BTW, I don't know if this is still valid, (it's four days old and I've already upgraded so I can't check), but both the standard free Android and iOS version of City Maps 2Go can be upgraded to the Pro or Premium version for free via an upgrade code. [HotDealsUK]

Android: CityMaps2Go Plan Trips Travel Guide Offline Maps
iOS: CityMaps2Go Offline Map

Codes: PROSUPP or PREMSUPP for Pro or Premium upgrade, respectively.

How to redeem the codes

A bit of blurb:
About the app:
▶ IN-DEPTH CONTENT: Unlike other offline map apps, CityMaps2Go features photos as well as tips and comprehensive in-depth info for millions of places.
▶ WORLDWIDE COVERAGE: CityMaps2Go covers the whole world. More than 150 countries, 60000 destinations, and 50 million places!!
▶ WORKS OFFLINE: CityMaps2Go works online and offline. Saving you from data roaming charges in foreign cities or connectivity problems in national parks.
▶ PLAN TRIPS: Remember and save all the places you would like to visit. Create lists and have your travel ideas ready when you need them.
▶ DETAILED MAPS: Explore your saves on a detailed worldwide map. Navigate streets, footpaths, and bikeways wherever you are.
--- End quote ---

Differences:
There are 3 versions of CityMaps2Go, namely:
BASIC: The Basic version is free, however severely restricted and has annoying pop-up adverts.
PRO: All the basic features in addition to more functionality including unlimited offline maps & articles plus no adverts!
PREMIUM: Same features as PRO plus ability to customise maps & lists + premium support
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version