ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What Android Apps Do You Use?

(1/49) > >>

ewemoa:
This topic was inspired by phitsc's Android apps micro reviews :)

So, Android users, what non-bundled apps do you use?

Below are some free ones I've found handy:

* Adv Calculator [AB] - simple calculator with history
* AndExplorer [AB]- simple file explorer
* APV (Android PDF Viewer) [AB] - for when VuDroid doesn't work
* Bluetooth File Transfer [AB] - as the name says
* Clipper [AB] - clipboard sniffing and manipulation - insurance for loss of long constructed text strings
* ES File Explorer [AB] - multi-feature file explorer (mainly used here for local and LAN (SMB), but also sometimes for backing up apps)
* FBReaderJ [AB] - ebook reader - only tested here with epub format
* iClock - clone of original iClock - used here mostly for World Clock functionality
* Measured Timer [AB] - simple minute-granularity timer - drag around a ring to set
* Moon+ Reader [AB] - ebook reader with highlighting - only tested here with epub and html formats
* MySettings [AB] - toggling and viewing settings - use it mostly to quickly check remaining battery percentage
* RockPlayer [AB] - media player that happens to handle most formats i've been using recently
* SAM - app to interface with SlideME
* VuDroid [AB] - djvu / pdf viewer
Updated: Added links to AppBrain pages.

Renegade:
News reader
Browser
Facebook (once in a while)
Pirates & Traders (game)

That's about it. I have more installed, but don't use them much.

Deozaan:
I've got an Android G1, which is normally limited to Android 1.6. So, by far the most useful thing I use on my phone is CyanogenMod, which allows me to put Android 2.2 on my phone. Unfortunately the G1 is no longer being supported with newer versions of CM.

As for apps I find most useful (not counting included Google apps like Gmail, Calendar, GTalk, Maps, Navigation, etc.):

* AndChat - An IRC client.
* Barcode Scanner - Useful for QR codes or to do price checks at local stores (with the Google Shopper app).
* Barnacle WiFi Tether - CyanogenMod allows me to tether my phone's internet via USB. Barnacle lets me use my phone as a WiFi access point.
* OI File Manager - I really only use this when a song fails to download correctly in Subsonic and I need to delete it to get it to download again.
* ING Direct's Free ATM Finder - This helps me find nearby ATMs that don't charge extra fees. (And while searching for this, I just found a new ING Direct app that will let me check my balance(s) and do other banking things. I'll have to check that one out!
* Subsonic - Streams music and videos from my Subsonic server running on my computer.
* Super BT Mono Pro - Converts all audio to mono so that I can listen to music on my phone via my bluetooth earpiece. This one cost a few dollars, but there's a free trial available. Also, I use the one made for CyanogenMod. If this is something you have a use for, make sure to test the trial version out to verify that it works. It's a bit finicky, and obviously music doesn't sound very good in mono over BT, but it's better than nothing.
* Google Voice - This wasn't available (and thus wasn't included) when the G1 came out. It sure is awesome though!
* Google Chrome to Phone - Sends a page in your PC's browser to your phone.
My phone has very limited internal storage, so that's about all I can fit on there without running out of space. Here are some other apps I've found useful/fun/interesting but don't currently have installed either due to space constraints or I just don't use them often enough:

* uTorrent Remote - Allows you to add/remove/manage your torrents remotely. I don't torrent often enough to really use this, but it's nifty.
* Audiobooks - Quick access to LibriVox's entire catalog.
* DropBox
* SwiftKey Keyboard (free trial available)
* Backgrounds
* Google Sky Map - Uses gyroscope so you can just hold up your phone in the direction of the sky and it will identify stars in that direction.
* Google Listen - Podcast app.
* Google Translate.
* Facebook for Android - The official app. (I hate how newer phones have Facebook integrated into everything!)
* Twitter - The official app.
Oddly enough, I don't use my phone much for games. Probably because it can't handle much of anything on the market, but also because I'm usually within 30 feet of a much more powerful gaming machine should the desire arise. But I have downloaded a couple games/game related apps:

* Minecraft Canary
* Gurk, the 8Bit RPG
* Galcon - (currently on sale for $1)
Also, AppBrain.com is a handy site for searching/tracking/organizing apps you have or want. They even have an app that lets you synchronize your apps on your phone with their website, or automatically download the ones you've marked for installation from their website. This was especially useful before the recent Android Market upgrades that let you search, buy, and install from the official Android Market on your PC, but it still does have a couple of features that are better than the Android Market, such as tracking price history, creating lists to organize apps, etc.

4wd:
Huawei U8150 with UltraJack-Recovery 6.2.2 and FUSIONIdeos 1.9 Experimental.

SuperBox - System info, quick settings (WiFi, GPS, etc), move apps to MicroSD when downloaded (App2SD function) plus a lot more.
WiFi Analyzer - Find hotspots or locate a clear channel for your own WiFi.
GPS Status & Toolbox - Because I'm interested in knowing where I am but not interested in SatNav.
MapDroyd - Offline maps via OpenStreetMaps, (the World only takes up ~5.5GB).
File Expert - Excellent file manager plus one touch HTTP/FTP server for managing via PC.
SpiderOak - Like DropBox only encrypted :)
KeePassDroid - Logins, etc.

phitsc:
Here's some other apps I'm using. All of them are either free or cheap.

Apps

3 (Cubed) - Cool music player with widget (but lacks EQ)
InstaFetch Lite - Access Instapaper saved pages. There's now also a 'Read it Later' app. Should maybe try it and compare them once.
onTour Free - Concert guide
Springpad - Online information collection and management system
Squeezebox Controller - Control your Logitec Squeezebox from your phone
Sweet Home - Copy photos / videos from your phone to your NAS
WhatsApp - Text messages / MMS replacement that uses your data plan and is also available on iPhone

Switzerland-specific Apps

Codecheck - Check safety of ingredients of food products by scanning their barcode
SBB Mobile - Timetable for the Swiss public transport system
Search.ch - Lookup Swiss phone numbers and addresses
Tages-Anzeiger - Swiss newspaper

Games

Angry Birds - Already the free version has quite some content and is challenging
Bebbled - Pop the bubbles
Fruit Ninja - Slice some fruit
Glow Hockey - Air hockey with nice graphics. But should offer 2 human player mode.
NeuralPlay Reversi Free - My daughter loves it. Play against phone or other human player.
OpenSudoku - Sudoku
Patience Revisited - The best-looking of the free solitaire implementations I have found
The Brickening - Free Arkanoid / Breakout game with a huge amount of levels

My kids love these:

Kids Connect the Dots
Kids Shape Puzzle
Talking Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version