ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone testing Daminion Media Manager ?

<< < (4/15) > >>

Darwin:
Thanks, Murat! I'm testing the beta now - am posting in the "Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?" thread.

Jibz:
Thanks, Murat! I'm testing the beta now - am posting in the "Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?" thread.
-Darwin (March 05, 2012, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm posting in that thread as well :).

K.Murat:
Welcome back to this thread :)

There were some Daminion related discussions on the neibour topic, but we received a suggestion to not hijacking that thread with a certain product specific questions.

So, I can proceed with answering to Daminion specific questions here.

K.Murat:
I have 2881 SVG files which are mainly icons. Since there is no image organizer for vector files, I had decided to make mirrored directory with PNG versions of them. Simple batch script for rsvg-convert.exe did the work and I have few thousands thumbnails - 512 pixels wide. From my point of view it is now not worth it to have Daminion to offer thumbnails of my thumbnails. I don't know the code behind this software but for me: time saved on regenerating thumb for little bigger picture is lost on searching its entry in SQlite database + reading it from hidden dir. Please correct me on this :)
For bigger images it is OK but not for such case. It would be better to have an Option for setting minimum image size needed for thumbnails.
-fenixproductions (March 06, 2012, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am not sure about the performance when we'll use PNG images instead of JPEG. Plus, we have 3 JPEG versions of the same file, for better performance. So if the thumbnail size will be minimal and there will be 100 thumbnails on the screen - the workspace rendering speed will be... so-so... for large PNG (500x500) rendering...

Anyway if we'll add support for SVG format, it might give you the same convenience as you converted your SVG collection to PNGs... Isn't it? So you don't need to convert each new SVG to PNG format.

BTW AFAIR some JPG files may contain embedded thumbnails already (in EXIF?). Does Daminion recreate thumb from bigger image to its own dir or use embedded one? How does it look like performance wise?

--- End quote ---

JPEG format allows to read the the actual files with 1:4, 1:8 scaling, that drastically improves the import speed. Exif allows storing thumbnails. But most of the digital cameras write very small size jpeg preview (120x80px) and with worst JPEG quality. And most software tools ignore this tag when updates JPEG or write to JPEG.

So Daminion do not use EXIF Thumbnail Tag to render images.

Jibz:
Another little display glitch for you:

Find two images next to each other where one was taken with flash, the other without (i.e. one of them contains the Flash property under Image in the Properties pane, the other does not). Now, double-click the first to open full screen view, go to the next image, and close the full screen view again. Part of the Properties pane is now shifted to adjust for the missing Flash line, while the rest is not, resulting in something like this:

I think perhaps it would make more sense if pressing Ctrl-D in full screen mode would bring in the Properties pane for editing like in normal view instead of letting you edit the title at the top?

Btw, I realize this is not the ideal place for bug reports, would you prefer them on your forum or somewhere else?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version