ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone testing Daminion Media Manager ?

<< < (3/15) > >>

JavaJones:
No, please, go on about it! :D I want to know more. Why is it a keeper? What else have you tried? Are you using it just for images (in which case have you tried e.g. IDimager), or other document types as well?

- Oshyan

joiwind:
Well, Daminion seems a good attempt at what I want as a image organizer - I'm not saying it's the best because it's not, but I'll keep it to see how it develops - however it's a bit slow and sometimes takes a while to redraw thumbnails. One thing I like about it is the smallish db size and it not being java-based, also I very much like the ergonomic layout.
I've tried :
exifpro - don't like the layout
IDimager (not free)
and a few others which I won't mention as I find them lamentable. At the moment I'm testing :
Cloudatag which (although it comes from beyond the silk curtain) seems pretty good as a simple tagger and organizer, very fast and apparently stable but of course I don't use the remote cloud option,
and StudioLine PhotoBasic which is more powerful but looks promising.

As for your last question : "other document types...", I use Tag2Find (no longer developed) which is great for my vast collection of letters and docs but not for images as it does not integrate a viewer.

Thanks for your curiosity ...  :)

JavaJones:
And thank you for the details. Definitely interesting as I am in a big "computer overhaul" phase and looking for ways to better catalog my vast quantities of *stuff*, hehe. Photo management seems like the best solved issue already, there are tons of good tools, from stand-alone DAM tools like IDimager and Daminion, to systems integrated with photo editors like Picasa or Lightroom (I favor the latter type). For general documents the landscape is less clear.

- Oshyan

CWuestefeld:
I looked at this briefly, about a week ago, after seeing it recommended elsewhere. I didn't even bother to download, when I couldn't find a price tag mentioned anywhere.

The prices mentioned above seem pretty steep -- $100 - $200. That doesn't compare favorably with what are, in my mind, the other competitors: ACDSee ($70 - $240 for a well established, proven product), or photools.com's IMatch ($65, again, a well established program).

Looking at the Daminion web site, the product looks interesting, but I don't see anything compelling above what these other products offer. Does anyone have insight into its features?

K.Murat:
Hi there,

My name is Murat Korkmazov, I am co-founder of Daminion Software. I appreciate for everyone here who evaluated our Daminion.

The price: Daminion Standalone will be free of charge up to 0.99 version. After that the program will be commercial (something between $99-199). But it's not a problem to provide the early adopters by free licenses in exchange to helping us with product testing and/or promotion the program (like blog posts, of forum posts).

We are not affiliated with MasRizal, I never heard about this company before. Probably you know our PicaJet – the simple photo organizer (we released PicaJet - 4 months later after Picasa was launched). Daminion is a brand new version of the PicaJet, and it was developed based on huge feedbacks from PicaJet users since 2004. 

There is some delay when your first open a catalog, but as joiwind said: "once the program is running it takes 1-2 seconds to open a catalog". Once we'll implement some core functionality of the product we'll start to optimize the performance of Daminion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version