ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Fascinating story about the consequences of sharing your art in the Internet age

<< < (4/9) > >>

ak_:
The problem is people usually don't treat artistic work as any other kind of work. This guy sees his work stolen (and sold) and what he gets is "But now people know your work, it's good for you" and weirdly it sounds normal to a lot of people. If a guy went to a shop everyday, stole food and share it with his friends and tell the shop owner "Now everyone knows you sell good food, it's good for you", i'm pretty sure the shop owner would respond "I don't care, just stop stealing my food" and most people would agree with him. But artists, they should be be grateful for doing what they love for a loving and shut the hell up when their work is stolen.

J-Mac:
I'm really surprised by a lot of the comments here. It is HIS creation! And others are taking credit for it and selling it. And now I see that many don’t even consider him as victimized!?

Baffling.

Jim

Renegade:
Or is anyone suggesting that a 1 day of work  is supposed to bring you money for the rest of your life?
-rxantos (March 19, 2011, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the point of copyright and patents. You work once, then get paid later, and hopefully get paid a lot for a long time. :)

1 day is extreme though, but it happens. How many music band have written a song in a day and gotten paid for that?

Art is hard. You go through dry spells. You need to capitalize on your creativity when it happens.

Anyways, just a thought. Did I sound like an asshole too? :D :P (FWIW: You didn't sound like an asshole.)

app103:
Ignoring the idea of copyright and not being compensated by people that are making money off his work for a minute, there is another issue that exists here...that's HIS face...not a doodle, a paint splotch, a pic of a flower or a dog...his face.

How would you feel if one of the photos of yourself or your family, that you uploaded somewhere to share with friends and family, suddenly ended up everywhere...printed on t-shirts, skateboards, book covers, magazines, etc. and you have no control over the context in which it is used? How about if someone was using your face on a dating site profile, claiming it is a pic of themselves? How about using it in some sort of context you would object to on moral grounds? If you are pro-choice, a photo of your baby being used in anti-abortion propaganda? How about your face appearing in an ad for a Herpes medication, in a way that would imply you have Herpes?

How would this make you feel?

JavaJones:
I for one didn't mean to imply I have no sympathy for his concerns nor that I ignore the injustice that's done here. I just think it's interesting to examine pragmatically speaking and see where the "greatest good" lies. I don't have a simple answer, and I would feel very similarly to him if this happened to me, but it's also not black and white IMHO.

The fact that it's *his* face does potentially change things a bit, but not dramatically so in my view. Stolen work is stolen work, whether it's stealing your art, or your face (there's the story of a family whose photo ended up on a billboard...). Both are wrong, legally as well as morally.

Great debate all around, regardless of perspective. :)

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version