topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Does anyone understand what Android does with contact photos?  (Read 3274 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm trying to figure out what Android is doing with contact photos so I can keep cleaning up my contacts and end up with a nice addressbook that gets managed properly.

I'm trying to understand what the best resolution is for an android contact photo.  Now, the phone is 1080p (1080x1920).  The contact photos appear in full screen, so I would assume 1080x1920 is ideal.  However...contact photos are required to be square.  So you can't really have that rectangular resolution.  So what's the best square resolution? 1080x1080? or 1920x1920?

But android will still make the picture full screen.  So I want to assume 1920x1920 is the better option so they don't have to enlarge the photo and lose quality.  But I don't think it works that way.  I once read that the photos are or should be 720x720.  I don't get it.  And I couldn't find clear answers on google.

So...help?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Does anyone understand what Android does with contact photos?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:18 PM »
Don't have an answer to your question, but the following seems to support what you said about 720x720:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17834815/how-to-find-the-max-image-size-supported-for-contacts-images

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 07:10 AM »
No exact answers, but...

Android is modified by individual vendors, so the contact behaviour may vary between manufacturers, and possibly between models as well. Many manufacturers try to differentiate some things in their phones, and basic functionality is sometimes targeted for further integration, e.g. one vendor may decide to scan your Facebook, Twitter, and Linked-In accounts, etc. So, check the documentation for your specific device for precise answers if you end up finding that something "isn't right".
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:39 AM »
I think, then, the best resolution for pictures for my phone will by anything square that is minimum 720x720, but can be larger without looking bad.  Also, I have to make sure I have whatever options turn off that makes android/google degrade the quality of photos.  I still don't know how that happens.  Google will noticeably reduce the quality of contact photos, but i can't tell when it does it.  Probably has something to do with syncing.