ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Leave me in the clouds

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tuxman:
Basically, similar thoughts made me decide that my Cloud life will only be with todo lists and (not confidential) notes.  :)
Not sure if my Dropbox account (with a couple of private image files) would be considered "public"; probably I should zip and encrypt my backups there. Good idea, actually.

Renegade:
It is fine, although its successor, the SGS2, is about to be released...  :)
-Tuxman (March 17, 2011, 10:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's no winning that game.

Actually, buying the latest release just before the Zombie Apocalypse hits lets you win that game. Too bad you're too busy scrambling for brains to use the phone though... :P

f0dder:
(one with a flatrate, one with a pre-paid SIM)-Tuxman (March 17, 2011, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Zomg! You must be a terrorist!

:p

40hz:
I offer my condolences, having gone through something similar about this time last year.

Back then, I posted a comment where I talked about my gradual and reluctant acceptance of the inevitability of me personally using cloud based technologies. I was speaking mainly of Google at the time. But there's nothing that's since happened that makes me feel it applies any less to iDrive, DropBox, ReadItLater, Wunderlist, and all the other cloud services I have accounts with.

I'm one of those people that doesn't really like the idea of doing all my important things up on the web. I could write an essay on why, but most people here are savvy enough to see the obvious risks (security, accessibility, service downtime, etc.) that there's little point in writing about what's already well understood.

One line in Lankton's article, however, triggered what amounted to an epiphany (of sorts) for me. In answer to why he finally embraced Google Apps he said:

Because my need for synchronization finally outweighed my need to be a software connoisseur.

And the truth found in that simple statement forced me to reevaluate my entire way of thinking about web-based technologies. Lankton chose to use the word "synchronization." But what I think he was really getting at was the need for something I prefer to call ubiquitous access.

Ubiquitous access is the unrestricted ability to get at "your stuff" without regard to access platform or the technology employed to store your data. Think of it as "Anything-Anytime-Anywhere" and you've got it down.

We used to be told that it wasn't necessary to know everything so long as you knew where to go to find the information you needed. Ubiquitous access has a lot in common with that philiosophy.
--- End quote ---

The Cloud...It's here. It's now. And despite any paranoia or misgivings, it's far too useful to ignore.

---------------------
Note: You can read the original post here if you're interested.

4wd:
(one with a flatrate, one with a pre-paid SIM)-Tuxman (March 17, 2011, 09:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Zomg! You must be a terrorist!

:p
-f0dder (March 18, 2011, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Geez, what does that make me then:
1 x $1/month 3G SIM (TPG - mainly for the data, 50MB free)
1 x $5/month GSM SIM (Telstra - my normal mobile with international roaming)
1 x Pre-paid 3G SIM (non-expiring credits - she who must be obeyed emergency phone)
1 x Pre-paid SIM (UK Tesco - for when we're over there for months on end)

On another note, I have to stand up and admit: I bought an Android Smartphone  :-[

Naturally, already rooted and modified Android installed  :Thmbsup:

At AU$99 I just couldn't resist a new toy: Huawei U8150 (also rebadged into the T-Mobile Comet)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version