ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

moving data from desktop to laptop

<< < (2/2)

app103:
It might even be an idea to get a portable hard disk (roughly the same size as your internal; hard disk. Hook it up to the appropriate computer and start transferring data. This has the advantage that you have a (new) portable hard disk that can be very useful for other purposes (backup ?) after you are finished transferring data.
-Shades (May 05, 2015, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's how I did it, with my 500G Passport drive. That has to be one of the handiest things I own, when it comes to easily transporting data between computers.

And you are going to need an easy way to copy the data on your laptop to somewhere else, on a regular basis, for backup purposes, so you might as well get yourself one.

If you shop around you can usually find a 500G one for a little under $60, but Amazon has a 1TB sized one right now, for about that, too (with free shipping): http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00EAS8M0S/

And if you get it from there, do yourself a favor and spend the extra $5 for the hard shell carrying case to protect it: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hard-Carrying-Passport-Essential/dp/B003LSTD38/

IainB:
I are confuzzled here. Sorry if I have misread something in the original post, but I do not see that there is anything preventing the user from removing the hard drive from the old PC, connecting said drive to a suitable drive carrier, and plugging the latter as a peripheral device, into (say) a USB port on the laptop.
(That's what I usually do, at any rate.)

Ath:
I do not see that there is anything preventing the user from removing the hard drive from the old PC, connecting said drive to a suitable drive carrier, and plugging the latter as a peripheral device, into (say) a USB port on the laptop.
-IainB (May 06, 2015, 02:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Lacking technical skills perhaps? Or maybe bravery ;D

IainB:
I do not see that there is anything preventing the user from removing the hard drive from the old PC, connecting said drive to a suitable drive carrier, and plugging the latter as a peripheral device, into (say) a USB port on the laptop.
-IainB (May 06, 2015, 02:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Lacking technical skills perhaps? Or maybe bravery ;D
-Ath (May 06, 2015, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I don't know that's right.
The only skills I needed to do that the first time involved the use of a screwdriver or two and the ability to disconnect/reconnect the appropriate bits and pieces, according to the instructions. It was surprisingly simple/easy.
Nowadays it's just a repeatable process, for me.

After plugging in the peripheral drive to my laptop, all that is involved is using Windows Explorer (or similar) to move software files and data files from A to B.
That would seem to be considerably simpler than some of the approaches being considered above - e.g., including LapLink.
I always used to use LapLink to migrate stuff before that.

Steven Avery:
I'm in good shape now.  I lugged the home puter and terminal and keyboard and mouse into a hotel room and backed up a bunch of stuff to a Passport (it would have needed a USB or internal card for wireless).  Then from Passport to wireless.

Some other issues are floating around, but for now I'm ok.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version