ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > fSekrit

FSekrit 1.40 Error Saving File

<< < (4/5) > >>

f0dder:
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

The problem sounds a bit strange - you've been using fSekrit for years, and suddenly this error appears, without making any changes to the system? That the problem disappears in safe mode hints to me that the problem is with software, not NTFS permissions, and my guess would have been antivirus software. But you say there has been no changes, and that you even uninstalled Avira.

fSekrit works by copying itself to a temporary location and using that as the "editor" executable, to be able to write to the "document" executable (it's not possible to write to the executable file of a running program without doing some very dirty tricks). Under normal operation, this means the editor executable is in %TEMP%, unless you have a file called fSekrit.portable in the same folder as the document executable.

When saving, fSekrit starts by writing to a temporary file, then it deletes the document.exe, and finally moves the temporary file to the document.exe name. The fSekrit 1.40 codebase doesn't check for errors deleting document.exe, so that's probably the step that fails.

I'm not sure why that happens, as it's not something I've seen under normal operation (I'm running Win10 these days, but fSekrit 1.40 has been running on pretty much every version from Win9x). But something is probably keeping the document.exe open - this could be backup software, antivirus software, or even explorer.exe. I would suggest grabbing Sysinternals' Handle and see if it reports some other program keeping the document.exe open.

Tretyy:
f0dder
Thank you for your attention to the problem :)
I am willing to experiment with the Sysinternals, just write exactly what to do.

upd:
He says that he was busy System pid: 4

upd2:
Hooray! I started digging on this issue and finally came across this http://superuser.com/questions/234569/windows-7-delayed-file-delete
I had turned off the service, with a very long time. Apparently, what the update has changed the algorithm which is why it shutdown caused these problems.
The problem is completely solved

wraith808:
Look in your task manager - there should be a column there for PID (process ID).  If there's not, right click on any column to check to show it.

What is that process?

tomos:
Look in your task manager - there should be a column there for PID (process ID).  If there's not, right click on any column to check to show it.

What is that process?
-wraith808 (November 23, 2016, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
was confused by the sequence here -
turns out the last edit of the previous post (below) was well after wraith's post
upd2:
Hooray! I started digging on this issue and finally came across this http://superuser.com/questions/234569/windows-7-delayed-file-delete
I had turned off the service, with a very long time. Apparently, what the update has changed the algorithm which is why it shutdown caused these problems.
The problem is completely solved-Tretyy (November 23, 2016, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
was confused by the sequence here -
-tomos (November 23, 2016, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

1. Open Task Manager
2. If PID is not shown, right click and add it.
3. Find PID.

I was going to post screenshots, but SSC is acting weird with Task Manager in Win10.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version