ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Text Expander software for Windows

<< < (3/13) > >>

Mattphoes:
Is there anything particular where Auspex outperforms the others? Phrase Express and Auto-Hotkey seem to deliver everything I could imagine. ...So far I can see.

I don't understand the comment about "intrusiveness". A text replacement util does what you feed what it should do.

cmpm:
You must use the commercial version. I'm guessing.
The personal version prompts to upgrade to commercial when used for personal use.

http://www.autotext-software.com/

Is a free, no pop-up or prompts to upgrade to commercial, fine program.

Phrase Express and Auto-Hotkey seem to deliver everything I could imagine.
--- End quote ---

That is part of the problem with Phrase Express imo, phrases for everything.
Just let me type and I know when I get phrase insertion prompts, because I put them there.
I don't need a large database of phrases to scroll through.

rjbull:
The personal version prompts to upgrade to commercial when used for personal use.-cmpm (March 14, 2011, 03:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think they include an algorithm that tries to decide whether you're using it for personal or commercial purposes.  I can see why, but it must be very hard to make an accurate decision.  E.g., if I were, as a private person, writing a letter to a utility company, how would an algorithm decide.

http://www.autotext-software.com/

Is a free, no pop-up or prompts to upgrade to commercial, fine program.
--- End quote ---

A freeware by the Phrase Express people, when Phrase Express is already free for personal use?  Getting very complicated!

I currently use Typing Assistant, and like it, but you have to press the number of the phrase that you want in the pop-up list.  I asked them to remove that and allow "instant" text input, but they said no, as then users might be more likely to type the wrong thing by accident.  I see where they're coming from, but I disagree.  Having to use an explicit trigger spoils the flow.  And after all, what's typed is the user's responsibility.  I would prefer to go back to Instant Text which doesn't enforce that, but would have to pay $99 to go from version V to the version VII that works properly on Vista Home Premium with UAC On (full new price is $189).  At present I'm resisting!

Mattphoes:
I use the personal free PhraseExpress Edition and never got such notification. It seem to has all features as the commercial version.

Typing Assistant, however, is not free for any use.

cmpm:
If it's an important document I would proof read it anyway.
With or without spell and phrase help.
I use tinySpell and it is very good for spell checking.

Most anything I type in has it's own spell checker anyway.

I've seen good and bad reports on Phrase Express reviews.
From errors and too much resources used, to a great program.
My experience with it was rejected and uninstalled.
If yours is better, good for you.

Are you working for Phrase Express or it's parent company Mattphoes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version