ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Paul's Extreme Sound Stretch - Aaawwweeesssooommmeee

<< < (2/3) > >>

Edvard:
Here's the Windows XP startup sound at 10x with a window size of 3.125:

cranioscopical:
Here's the Windows XP startup sound at 10x with a window size of 3.125:

-Edvard (March 14, 2011, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Finally, something on Windows that moves at my pace!

IainB:
@Edvard: Many thanks for this.
Very nice find.     :Thmbsup:

IainB:
I had listened to:

* The Jurassic Park theme 1000% stretch.
* The Windows XP startup sound at 10x with a window size of 3.125 (provided above by @Edvard)
Here's one I did with PaulStretch: Harp upwards stretch.wav (2.3Mb)
(It's just a quick riffle upwards across the harp strings, slowed down.)

And here are some interesting Musical Illusions
I find the "Phantom Words" one intriguing. Amazing what our brains can make up in an effort to make sense out of some sounds. What do you hear?

Edvard:
Very nice, Iain.  I found the Musical Illusions site interesting, though I thought a mention of Shepard Tonesw would have fit right in. I was especially interested in the Phantom Voice.  Though not what I expected, it reminded me very much of the song "Opus 4" by the Art of Noise. 

What I was expecting was that peculiar phenomenon whereby a subject will hear voices or music in white/pink noise,appearing just below the threshold of comprehension.  I personally find this especially noticeable when combined with a coherent sound (any regular tone or rhythm), first discovered out fishing with a friend; the sound of rushing water + the sound of my friend humming produced the illusion of voices, in fact a conversation between two parties, which would cease when my friend stopped humming.  Since then, I have heard it in the humming of a case fan, in the wind when a car passes by, etc.  I have also read somewhere that shamans of many cultures would produce this phenomenon by various means, most commonly the use of different types of rattles or objects shaken in a bowl.
More about that here (never mind the paranormal slant if it's not your thing, the description of the phenomenon is exactly as I have experienced):
http://atransc.org/research/voices_in_noise.htm

Try different windows startup sounds, the 98SE one is quite nice:
http://www.winhistory.de/more/winstart/winstart.htm.en

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version