ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

JetDrive Defragmentation Suite

<< < (5/5)

MerleOne:
The scary thing was I had 35 per cent free space, and the XP built-in defragmenter still wouldn't defrag the files.
-johnk (March 15, 2011, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just out of curiosity, do you know which file had 20K worth of fragments. Some sort of database? Or was it your pagefile or MFT?

Reason I ask is because I've never had anything to remotely with that monster of yours. And I handle servers and multi-user environments where some files get clobbered and frag up pretty badly in the course of a work week.

Always something new for me to learn about.

:)

-40hz (March 16, 2011, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
I once encountered such files : .arx archive files created by FirstDefense ISR, an instant recovery software.

johnk:
The scary thing was I had 35 per cent free space, and the XP built-in defragmenter still wouldn't defrag the files.
-johnk (March 15, 2011, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just out of curiosity, do you know which file had 20K worth of fragments. Some sort of database? Or was it your pagefile or MFT?
-40hz (March 16, 2011, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

The most fragmented files were all video files, about 1GB in size.

Ath:
And what was the brand of the harddrive in that machine? A Maxtor perhaps? These disco's are known to get slower and slower after several years of use, though I've not been able to do any measurements on them :huh:

johnk:
And what was the brand of the harddrive in that machine? A Maxtor perhaps? These disco's are known to get slower and slower after several years of use, though I've not been able to do any measurements on them :huh:
-Ath (March 17, 2011, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a Seagate. But I don't think the drive brand is relevant here -- any drive would have slowed down with that level of fragmentation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version