ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A LOUDER Internet

<< < (3/5) > >>

f0dder:
I see someone has a strong opinion on the subject~! :D-Renegade (March 15, 2011, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Strong opinion? I moderated myself quite a bit while typing that ;)

Renegade:
I see someone has a strong opinion on the subject~! :D-Renegade (March 15, 2011, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Strong opinion? I moderated myself quite a bit while typing that ;)
-f0dder (March 15, 2011, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't you hate toning it down sometimes? :D

If I'm visiting a band site, I kind of expect it to go with the territory. That I don't mind so much. It's a music site after all.

f0dder:
If I'm visiting a band site, I kind of expect it to go with the territory. That I don't mind so much. It's a music site after all.-Renegade (March 15, 2011, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's still drop-dead annoying if I'm just looking for some information about release or tour dates - music should be opt-in.

The reason I'm hating so much on auto-music is probably that I have my stereo amplifier hooked up to my PC, and that I'm blasting music away quite a lot of the time... very unpleasant when something unwanted mixes in with whatever I'm listening to.

Renegade:
If I'm visiting a band site, I kind of expect it to go with the territory. That I don't mind so much. It's a music site after all.-Renegade (March 15, 2011, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's still drop-dead annoying if I'm just looking for some information about release or tour dates - music should be opt-in.

The reason I'm hating so much on auto-music is probably that I have my stereo amplifier hooked up to my PC, and that I'm blasting music away quite a lot of the time... very unpleasant when something unwanted mixes in with whatever I'm listening to.
-f0dder (March 16, 2011, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

That doesn't tick me too much.

What really pisses me off is that the entire state of audio is still so horribly primitive. Phones still have crap quality. It's only been 100 years or so... But the real thing that irks me is volume.

All volumes are relative, and there is no base-line for anything. Put in one song and the volume is great. Put in another, your ears are blasted out. 3rd song and you can't hear anything. Same for audio in videos.

Volume *SHOULD* be in actual dB or SPL with a standard like STP (standard temperature and pressure). e.g. X dB @ STP and a distance of 2 meters.

Sigh... Some things are just hopeless...

(But it gives me a great idea for a product that I don't have the money to fund... Sigh... more frustration...)

f0dder:
It would help if all audio was "normalized", but it wouldn't be an end-all solution. What if you're listening to something with a wide dynamic range, and are currently enjoying one of the quieter passages - and you go to this website that starts spitting out highly range-compressed jungle? Or just plain old loud&noisy thrash metal?

Audio on websites should be opt-in, plain and simple. Also helps you not waste bandwidth :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version