ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: A Custom Page for Inno Setup showing DoCo info and donation benefits

<< < (3/6) > >>

Renegade:
I've thrown something together, except for the text that I got from the Lorem ipsum generator Renegade did a recent micro-mini-review of:
-Ath (March 12, 2011, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was actually cranioscopical. I can't take credit for that. ;)

But the idea reminds me of this thread.  :o

My guess is that a lot of applications do not end up in the hands of the end-user through DonationCoder. Thus, a simple page with extra information in an installer would be a nice sort of publicity campaign. An explicit This page is informational only, and no extra 'bundled' software will be installed. message might be useful to add at the bottom, just in case people go into ADSPYCRAPWARE mode the moment they see something that does not involve the name of the application itself.
-worstje (March 10, 2011, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

That will happen. At a minimum, it will get labeled as "ADWARE" by some people. It doesn't matter how innocent it is. But, you can't please everyone.

For the copy, I'd say keep it short and to the point. That's harder to write and more time consuming, but it's also more effective.

worstje:
That will happen. At a minimum, it will get labeled as "ADWARE" by some people. It doesn't matter how innocent it is. But, you can't please everyone.
-Renegade (March 12, 2011, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

By that logic, all installers are Adware. They tend to have visible text things saying 'made with NSIS' or 'made with WISE', etc. And usually on every single screen, or on the final page. But yeah, whiners complain. It's a law of nature at this point I think. :)

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

By that logic, all installers are Adware. They tend to have visible text things saying 'made with NSIS' or 'made with WISE', etc. And usually on every single screen, or on the final page. But yeah, whiners complain. It's a law of nature at this point I think. :)
-worstje (March 12, 2011, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. That's a pretty extreme end of the spectrum, but... Sigh...

It's actually a pet peeve of mine in commercial software (and other products). I don't want to advertise for another company, especially after I pay for a product. This happens a lot in web templates and components for web sites. People use flat out black hat techniques for SEO in things that you PAY for. But that's a far cry from "NSIS" in an installer.

Same goes for shirts. Why would I want an embroidered horse on my shirt that's large enough for me to ride on? Seems a tad nutty to me.

But agreed -- there will always be someone ready to whine no matter what.

Ath:
I've thrown something together, except for the text that I got from the Lorem ipsum generator Renegade did a recent micro-mini-review of:
-Ath (March 12, 2011, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was actually cranioscopical. I can't take credit for that. ;)
--- End quote ---
Oops :-[ :-[ my bad, I typed that up from memory, so that's where it went wrong :(
I'll fix that (both the memory and the text).

Ath:
If you would like to spif up the installer with a skin I've used this free tool for Inno Setup in the past:
-MilesAhead (March 12, 2011, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not something I'll be adding, I really dislike any skins beyond the default Windows stuff, and IMHO are a big waste of energy when applied to an installer, that is only run once.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version