ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

England Is Grinding To A Halt.

<< < (7/13) > >>

Carol Haynes:
(see attachment in previous post)
-Stephen66515 (March 10, 2011, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that David Cameron?

On a serious note it always make me laugh when you hear people in London complaining about public transport!

London is one of the few places in the UK that actually have a public transport system. Whenever I visit London I use the public transport system (I may drive to somewhere within reach and then take the Tube into the city). Having driven in London in the past no one in their right mind would choose to do so now.

Personally I have always found the Tube pretty efficient and my experiences haven't been any more smelly or dirty than public transport anywhere else.

I know that Londoner's generally don't believe there is anyone or anything outside the M25 but they should try getting a bus outside the city.

To my mind the only place that ever got public transport right was Sheffield in the 80s. One fixed, and very low (IIRC it was 10p), price for all journeys and frequent buses/trams everywhere. It took Margaret Thatcher's style of fanaticism (not to mention fascism) to kill off Sheffield's public transport system.

johnk:
I say we impose a "plutocracy tax" on the rich and let their wealth bring down/pay for higher crude! (In the US, they just buy the candidates who will vote exactly how they want -- if not this election, surely the next.) It's depressing to be at the mercy of idiots. Greedy idiots.
-zridling (March 10, 2011, 10:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Always an easy target, but the rich are so small in number that they're not really relevant. If you took every taxpayer in the UK who earns more than £1 million (just 14,000 people), and took every penny they earned (i.e. taxed them at 100 per cent), it would net another £20 billion a year or so (source) -- enough to pay less than half of the annual interest on the country's debt. And that's before you work out how many jobs you would have killed off by taking all the money from the rich.

rgdot:
Always an easy target, but the rich are so small in number that they're not really relevant. If you took every taxpayer in the UK who earns more than £1 million (just 14,000 people), and took every penny they earned (i.e. taxed them at 100 per cent), it would net another £20 billion a year or so (source) -- enough to pay less than half of the annual interest on the country's debt. And that's before you work out how many jobs you would have killed off by taking all the money from the rich.
-johnk (March 11, 2011, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

If rich are easy targets then the not rich (middle class, poor, etc.) are super duper mega easy targets.
The rich don't create job, the consumers create jobs. If I have a decent job I will buy the stuff the corporations make. Yes I made that money working for the job the corporation gave me but if I don't make enough and/or I put in the bank I influence the economy not the other way round.

Stoic Joker:
If rich are easy targets then the not rich (middle class, poor, etc.) are super duper mega easy targets.
-rgdot (March 11, 2011, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly, thread started with England being crippled by insane gas prices. The US has the same problem - number at the pump keeps trying to double. Why? GREED! Pure simple flat-out idiotic (screw-thy-fellow-man) greed!

There is no valid reason why gas should be more than $2 a gallon. Fair profits could still be made. But some clown came up with this "Fuel Shortage" nonsense back in the 70s, and that quickly paved the way for the rest of us to be bent over ever since. In the name of the ecology... Bullshit! The "shortage" was a nothing more than a political stunt to bleed more money out of people...And it is still going on.

The only reason we don't have fast, efficient, electric cars now is they are not done bleeding us dry for the old (dead dinosaur) technology.

Oh but how ever will those poor, poor oil barons manage to feed their families..? *Shrug* I don't know, maybe they can use some of the trillions of dollars they spent on sand to make islands shaped like freaking palm trees?

JavaJones:
1) Technology to use things as simple as tap water for fuel have existed for years but often dismissed for various reason like limited mileage and other - in my estimation - 'fixable' reasons.-rgdot (March 10, 2011, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

On the water front I'm a big fan of hydrogen. It can be used in existing reciprocal combustion engines, and electric cars with hydrogen fuel cells. Not to mention it's virtually impossible to run out of.
-Stoic Joker (March 10, 2011, 10:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

So use electricity that you've probably generated with coal to split water into hydrogen and oxygen using an energy-negative process, and use *that* to fuel your vehicle, being less efficient than gasoline? Yeah, I used to be way into hydrogen powered vehicles too, then I wondered "Where does all that hydrogen come from?". Yes, hydrogen is very abundant, but *not* in its free, usable state...

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version