ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do it yourself dropbox

<< < (5/9) > >>

40hz:
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be a lot easier to just run a copy of the Amahi server and be done with ?  :)

On a related note, the Linux Action Show podcast had and episode where they discussed how to go about setting up your own personal cloud. Some very good ideas and solid recommendations in there if you can put up with the silly banter and general loose format of the show. I do put up with it because it's a good show even though Chris Fisher can really get on my nerves from time to time. (Hey Chris? Comedy is a serious business... best leave it to the pros unless you really are funny.)

The episode can be downloaded/watched/listened to here. :Thmbsup:

Note: apparently a bunch of us blipped Bryan about Amahi since we felt he might be reinventing a wheel. He's agreed there's a good chance he might and plans on doing a show on Amahi in the near future. He's put his project on semi-hold until he checks it out.
 8)

JavaJones:
I don't know enough about ownCloud or Amahi to say with any confidence, but Amahi strikes me as a significantly "heavier" system and, while more flexible, perhaps overkill for someone looking for a simple Dropbox-like system. That being said it's definitely a cool option in general.

- Oshyan

40hz:
I kinda see something like Amahi as less overkill in that all the heavy lifting and configuration has been done for you. So from an enduser perspective it's easier to install and administer. The beauty of it is you only need to use the parts you want. And it's GUI based so you don't need to do all the 'science faire' stuff you'd need to do if you rolled your own.

Sometimes it's easier to go up a level in complexity in order to gain a quantum leap in day-to-day simplicity of operation. This is something I go through with my clients from time to time. Sometimes the simpler something is, the more complex it is to actually use. And vice versa.

Just my 2ยข anyway.  :)

JavaJones:
Fair points. I haven't tried either so it's all hypothetical to me. But Amahi does look interesting...

- Oshyan

40hz:
I tried Amahi back a few years ago and I was very impressed by it. And its developers haven't been sitting on their hands since then.

Nice thing about it is it only requires Fedora, so if you have a spare 32-bit box floating around, you're good to go. Which is convenient since all the new Windows servers have gone over to 64-bit architecture.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version