ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do it yourself dropbox

<< < (3/9) > >>

timns:
I achieved something similar on our own Windows servers using VPN, auto-login scripts and a shared drive.

kartal:
kartal[/b]: perhaps he's using block-based rather than file-based syncing?
-f0dder (March 09, 2011, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

With dropbox?

f0dder:
--- End quote ---
With dropbox?
-kartal (March 09, 2011, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
I would have thought any sane service to only transfer modified blocks - SpiderOak certainly does.

jgpaiva:
--- End quote ---
With dropbox?
-kartal (March 09, 2011, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
I would have thought any sane service to only transfer modified blocks - SpiderOak certainly does.
-f0dder (March 09, 2011, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, a friend of mine found out that DropBox does even more than that. It only transfers new blocks among all of its members' blocks. That is, if you try to upload a known large file (say a Ubuntu DVD or some known media), it'll upload instantly (regardless of the speed of your connection).

f0dder:
I would have thought any sane service to only transfer modified blocks - SpiderOak certainly does.-f0dder
--- End quote ---
Actually, a friend of mine found out that DropBox does even more than that. It only transfers new blocks among all of its members' blocks. That is, if you try to upload a known large file (say a Ubuntu DVD or some known media), it'll upload instantly (regardless of the speed of your connection).-jgpaiva (March 09, 2011, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Good for speed, and storage space reduction at DropBox's servers, bad for privacy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version