ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do it yourself dropbox

(1/9) > >>

kartal:
Hey people

I have managed to create a rig that lets me share my files(via local or distant connections). It is not a simple setup but I think it works well. When I have time I will write a a short tutorial about it. Basically I am using SSH(on Cygwin) and HFS(http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/). I send myfiles to Ssh server and share them with Hfs while I am creating the url for the file on the fly with simple bash console scripts(generated when the file is sent). I endup giving away a url that is similar to any web based sharing tools. I can send files within my network or from outside world.

Does anyone else created a do it yourself dropbox?

I personally like to make life harder for myself so that I can enjoy all the freedoms that comes with custom workflows and methods and I am always interested in what others have to offer as far as custom stuff goes. I do not like to put my data on someone else`s server so I rigged up my own ;)

What is cool is that I can send folders, zip them before sending, pipe other stuff, and even resume files (will use rsync) etc. And I have no MB limit ;)

housetier:
I have several times thought about creating my own such synchronization service. But I have never actually started on it, that is, I never got past sshfs.

I want to have my personal service because I don't trust 'them'. Sometimes there terms & conditions are not really in my favor (all your stuff belong to us, but you are still liable). Having a system that works for clients on different platforms -- linux, windows, mac, mobile os -- would be awesome.

f0dder:
housetier: check out SpiderOak - while even the best providers might disappear without notice, at least the SpiderOak guys have no way to access your files. Client works on multiple OSes.

nudone:
Are we saying that DropBox isn't to be trusted. Not wanting to start an argument, just wondering if I should stop using DropBox and move to SpiderOak.

Eóin:
I know I personally never put anything private into my Dropbox folder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version