ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do it yourself dropbox

<< < (8/9) > >>

40hz:
Amahi hit with Cease and Desist order from Apple:

http://blog.amahi.org/2011/06/21/apple-hits-amahi-with-a-cease-and-desist-wait-what/
-Deozaan (June 22, 2011, 06:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Leave it to Apple to do something totally jive.

On a positive note, that bonehead move is creating quite a bit of buzz in the blogs and tech columns thereby making a lot more people aware of Amahi than ever before.

That can only be a good thing for Amahi in the long run.

Amahi is also running a name their store contest. They decided it wasn't worth fighting about - and they don't have the financial resources for a legal battle with Apple even if they did think they were getting screwed over.

So it goes...

I honestly believe "what comes around, goes around."

With luck, Apple will discover it applies to them as well.  8)

------

P.S. Uh-oh! Just noticed Amahi published the text of Apple's legal notice on their website.

How much you wanna bet Apple hits Amahi with a DMCA takedown claiming that putting their letter up on the web is a copyright violation and unauthorized use of Apple's intellectual property once the story gets picked up by the majors?

Of course it wouldn't be the first time some corporate bully or troll has tried that move if they do. :-\

superboyac:
We'll see how Apple deals with getting more and more users and becoming bigger and bigger.  Their entire business model is based on having a tightly controlled and restricted ecosystem, and that will just get harder and harder to maintain as they get bigger.  But they're getting bigger.  It's going to be interesting.  More people will jailbreak.  More people will find the workarounds to the restrictions.  Then what?  Then again, it seems like most users are less and less aware about how tightly they are being controlled.  Or maybe I'm just cynical as usual (man that latest South Park episode was a doozy!).

40hz:
(man that latest South Park episode was a doozy!).
-superboyac (June 22, 2011, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

re: getting bigger

Yeah. Apple's has had the luxury of preaching to the choir for a long time. But I think you're very correct in your observation that it will be interesting to see what they do when John Q. Public shows up in droves on their formerly 'sacred' turf. Especially the diehard NIX and hack crowd who never took kindly to doing what they're told "just because."

Most of us worked far too long and hard to go back to the days of Mom and Dad telling us to do things "Because I said so!"

It was part of the growing up process (for most of us) to stand up to our parents and say NO from time to time. Even if what they were ordering us to do was, in fact, for our own good.

Maybe Apple will finally be forced to grow up a little bit itself in the wake of gaining a bigger user base.

Which is a good thing. Because Apple has operated too long under Steve Jobs' never ending quest for legitimacy and adulation. I personally think he never got over being given up for adoption by his natural parents. I think that's why so much anger and resentment lurks behind every word, gesture, and decision he makes. Which is a problem.  Because if that really is his 'issue,' there isn't enough "payback" in the entire world to atone for that kind of pain. :'(

Carol Haynes:
I like the little shoot apple game they have put up if you make a suggestion.

40hz:
Nice straightforward legal analysis (including a conclusion why Apple shouldn't have a leg to stand on) can be found here.

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version