ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do it yourself dropbox

<< < (6/9) > >>

daddydave:
What I am most interested in for my own "Do it yourself dropbox" is being able to resume a file transfer. I can't even transfer folders with large camera files across my home network because the destination computer will go into sleep and then the transfer times out. And I don't want to have to turn off power save mode or run mouse wiggle programs!

40hz:
@daddydave-You could always go with a NAS box -  or build your own low-power Atom or ARM based miniserver if all you wanted was to do file transfers and storage. Most of them run ~20 or less watts and don't need a fan. So it's not a big power bill just leaving them on 24x7.   :)

Deozaan:
I can't even transfer folders with large camera files across my home network because the destination computer will go into sleep and then the transfer times out. And I don't want to have to turn off power save mode or run mouse wiggle programs!
-daddydave (June 19, 2011, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try TeraCopy for transferring files across your home network. One of the features I really like about it is that it can do a checksum hash comparison to verify that files copied accurately.

In your situation, if the transfer fails partway through, just start it over again, and when/if it asks you if you want to overwrite existing files, select the "Older Only" option. Any files that were successfully transferred the first time will not be transferred again. And any files that broke partway through will fail the checksum validation and you can then "Clean Up" the list (remove all successful transfers from the list) and tell it to copy over the files that failed checksum validation, this time telling it to overwrite all of them. :Thmbsup:

A screenshot and more instructions

In the screenshot above, it lists which files successfully copied and which ones failed validation. It's still testing, but if it were finished, that button in the bottom left corner that says "Skipped: 126" would be the button you press to "Clean Up" the list, which shows only the files that don't have a CRC match. Then the buttons near the top that currently say "Pause" and "Skip" would say "Copy" and "Move" and you could just click Copy and then select overwrite and it would copy the files over and test them to make sure they made it.

Shades:
Yep, most (if not all) functionality from Teracopy should already be incorporated in Windows Since Windows 2003...

daddydave:
I can't even transfer folders with large camera files across my home network because the destination computer will go into sleep and then the transfer times out. And I don't want to have to turn off power save mode or run mouse wiggle programs!
-daddydave (June 19, 2011, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try TeraCopy for transferring files across your home network. One of the features I really like about it is that it can do a checksum hash comparison to verify that files copied accurately.

In your situation, if the transfer fails partway through, just start it over again, and when/if it asks you if you want to overwrite existing files, select the "Older Only" option. Any files that were successfully transferred the first time will not be transferred again. And any files that broke partway through will fail the checksum validation and you can then "Clean Up" the list (remove all successful transfers from the list) and tell it to copy over the files that failed checksum validation, this time telling it to overwrite all of them. :Thmbsup:

-Deozaan (June 19, 2011, 08:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can try it, but do you think Teracopy will be able to resume partial file transfers? Since these are LARGE files, if all it does is start a file copy  that failed from the beginning of the file, I think it would just time out again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version