topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Startup Delayer  (Read 77411 times)

JimB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Startup Delayer
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2011, 09:36 AM »
-version 3 will apparently overwrite version 2:
Yes, but will it overwrite the initial settings, I mean the different delays of the programs. If so there must be a file I could save to put it back after installation of the 3.0 and overwrite the initial settings of the 3.0.  

Also I see in the premium version of the 3 that it can launch applications on a schedule. What does that exactly mean, c'se I tought the 3 standard does that to otherwise there wouldn't be a delay. What exactly is on a schedule ?

Is the "waiting for time to pass" issue fixed. I've mentioned it b4. Allthough it's still present in my actual version and blocking the normal use of startup delayer, since the message remains in the "waiting for time to pass" state and thus preventing all the programs in the delayer to start.

I fixed that by starting my Delayer manually half a minute or more after the startup of my computer.

It is because the startup del;ayer itself was blocked from starting up in a normal way at startup (other programs that were starting up together with the Delayer could have prevented that)

So if this issue isn't fixed in the 3.0 version maybe there should be an option to delay Startup Delayer itself after startup, thus preventing other programs at startup to block Startup Delayer itself (and causing the message waiting for time to pass). Maybe some *.bat file could do the job independently from Startup Delayer itself.

As I told now I start the delayer manually some time after startup.  

Thank you
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:39 AM by JimB »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2011, 11:16 AM »
-I find it hard to understand why you kept using Startup Delayer at all - there are plenty with similar programs that are working well. My only advice will be to remove version 2 completely, and try out version 3.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2011, 03:53 PM »
@ JimB:

Why I got frustrated with Soluto?

• Inconsistent startups (sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes)
  • Sometimes it reports that the startup process is finished, but it continues for next minutes
  • Some applications sometimes didn't start at all, or after two hours
  • No way to control the order of launched apps
  • No way to search for the application in the GUI window (sorted by loading time, not alphabetically)
  • Running all the time in background
  • From time to time it periodically uses 20-30% CPU time and needs to be killed

None of these apply to SD3. For my setup (on two different machines) it was just a long-awaited godsend.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:58 PM by yksyks »

JimB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2011, 04:25 PM »
-I find it hard to understand why you kept using Startup Delayer at all - there are plenty with similar programs that are working well. My only advice will be to remove version 2 completely, and try out version 3.
Why I keep using Startup Delayer ? Similar programs can not do what Startup Delayer does. I've tried 2 other programs b4 and they make a mess of it. I agree that was a few years ago. In the meantime there could be others perhaps, but why should I even try them, when SUD does for me what I need.

JimB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2011, 04:47 PM »
    • Inconsistent startups (sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes)
    True, but that was also the case without Soluto and it's Vista itself causing this.

• Sometimes it reports that the startup process is finished, but it continues for next minutes
    Also true it's not that the window closes immediately. The program might as well say the startup process is finished while in fact it is still closing.

They wouldn't start either w.o Soluto

• No way to control the order of launched apps
    That's where Startup Delayer comes in handy.

• No way to search for the application in the GUI window (sorted by loading time, not alphabetically)
    Not necessary. There are other programs that can do this job.

• Running all the time in background
    You can disable it. I agree with you that I do.t understand why it should still run in the BG after the startup process is finished  

• From time to time it periodically uses 20-30% CPU time and needs to be killed
    Wasn't aware of that, but I might check that out.
    [/list]

None of these apply to SD3. For my setup (on two different machines) it was just a long-awaited godsend.
    SD3 was not intended and can in no way handle programs that start up hidden, and there are a few dozen. Besides that if you look inside SUD at the list of programs that start up without delay, you can only choose between these one's to delay. You have no idea how many other programs an services that start hidden, and believe me the list is long. Soluto handles those in a way to sort them out and as it were to let one start b4 another but w.o a delay (what Startup Delayer does with the one's in the list that are not hidden).
    [/quote]
    « Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:24 PM by JimB »

JimB

• Participant
    • Joined in 2009
    • default avatar
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #55 on: May 17, 2011, 05:20 PM »
    Error
    « Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:25 PM by JimB »

Curt

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #56 on: May 17, 2011, 05:47 PM »
    I cannot recognize my experiences with Soluto with any of your sayings.

However, it is late night around here, so I will shut up and go to bed.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #57 on: May 17, 2011, 06:41 PM »

They wouldn't start either w.o Soluto
    Sure they would. And did. For example Skype. I don't need it running immediately, but I need it to run after, say, ten minutes after boot. With Soluto this was unsure, unless I removed it from the delayed apps.

Not necessary. There are other programs that can do this job.
    No, I mean searching up the app in Soluto GUI for further manipulation, like moving it to delayed or stopped apps. You have to carefully hover all the shrunk and unreadable items to discover what they represent.

SD3 was not intended and can in no way handle programs that start up hidden, and there are a few dozen. Besides that if you look inside SUD at the list of programs that start up without delay, you can only choose between these one's to delay. You have no idea how many other programs an services that start hidden, and believe me the list is long. Soluto handles those in a way to sort them out and as it were to let one start b4 another but w.o a delay (what Startup Delayer does with the one's in the list that are not hidden).
    Well, I admit this might be a problem for someone. I don't care too much, because I'm using some utilities that evidently interfere with each other if loaded concurrently or in a wrong order. None of those starts hidden. By the way, Soluto displays a bunch of processes that cannot be handled at all. SD3 just omits them, which I consider a clearer approach.

So why not to stick with Soluto if it fits your needs? It didn't for me, so explained it here. SD3 simplified my life, that's all I wanted to share.

JimB

• Participant
    • Joined in 2009
    • default avatar
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #58 on: May 17, 2011, 06:43 PM »
    I have Vista and it is worse than a vampire. The main thing is that Soluto mostly handles startups that you cannot find anywhere and not at all in a program that checks out what is starting up with your computer. Also because there are programs and services you cannot and should not interfere with. For example do you or will you ever see explorer.exe among the list ? Of course not because if that wouldn't start you're computer wouldn't work at all. You will see it running when you start the Task Manager. I have 2 AM too and should leave for greener pastures too in my dreams.

This was a reply to both of you nice guys.

Grts.
    « Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:46 PM by JimB »

CliffCawley

• Honorary Member
    • Joined in 2009
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #59 on: May 21, 2011, 06:50 AM »
    Hi everyone! Thanks for using Startup Delayer 3.0, I hope its treating you all well :)

I've just released 3.0 build 299 over at http://www.r2.com.au...ucts/show/startdelay if you wanted to have the latest version.

JimB I noticed you were asking about a bug related to "waiting for time to pass". I can assure you that this problem is gone. Startup Delayer 3.0 is completely new software compared to 2.5. I've even added a feature in the Options window where you can tell Startup Delayer to wait for another application to start before launching the applications. Some users have specified Explorer.exe here to ensure that Explorer has completely initialized before they launch a special plugin for it.

To answer another question I saw, yes, Startup Delayer 3.0 will upgrade your 2.5 settings. It will also create a backup of them upon install. To make a backup yourself before you get started, backup the following folder:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\r2 Studios\Startup Delayer
    Windowx Vista/7: C:\Users\All Users\r2 Studios\Startup Delayer

I don't always monitor these forums, but if you have any questions, feel free to use the contact form on my website: http://www.r2.com.au/contact

JimB

• Participant
    • Joined in 2009
    • default avatar
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #60 on: May 21, 2011, 01:26 PM »
    JimB I noticed you were asking about a bug related to "waiting for time to pass". I can assure you that this problem is gone. Startup Delayer 3.0 is completely new software compared to 2.5. I've even added a feature in the Options window where you can tell Startup Delayer to wait for another application to start before launching the applications.
    -CliffCawley (May 21, 2011, 06:50 AM)

Well that's perfect because this message "waiting for time to pass" only should appear very shortly. In my case Startup Delayer itself got caught up sometimes between other invisible thngs that start up and consequently since the message remained it didn't startup itself. As I said in the meantime I solved that for 100% by manually starting SUD some minute or so after start. Now that I'm sure I can overinstall the 3.0 version in the same folder. I think your link in Vista is skipping a few folders in it's path. Shouldn't it be:
    Windowx Vista/7: C:\Users\Users\Name User\AppData\Roaming\r2 Studios\Startup Delayer instead of Windowx Vista/7: C:\Users\All Users\r2 Studios\Startup Delayer

I don't always monitor these forums, but if you have any questions, feel free to use the contact form on my website: http://www.r2.com.au/contact
    -CliffCawley (May 21, 2011, 06:50 AM)

Thanks anyway for dropping by.
    « Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:49 PM by JimB »

CliffCawley

• Honorary Member
    • Joined in 2009
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #61 on: May 21, 2011, 06:13 PM »
    I think your link in Vista is skipping a few folders in it's path. Shouldn't it be:
    Windowx Vista/7: C:\Users\Users\Name User\AppData\Roaming\r2 Studios\Startup Delayer instead of Windowx Vista/7: C:\Users\All Users\r2 Studios\Startup Delayer

Hi JimB,

The All Users path is correct for the location of all your delayed/disabled applications.

The "Name User" path just has settings such as column widths, window sizes and chosen languages. All of these settings have changed with 3.0 and don't have a direct connection to the new version. Startup Delayer 3.0 won't touch these files at all during the upgrade.

Cliff :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #62 on: May 28, 2011, 01:43 PM »
    Do we have any users of Startup Delayer 3 Premium here?

When I updated from the first installed version, I lost the Premium features; SD3 rewinded itself back to be a Standard version. Nowhere can I find a place to paste my Premium license code (again), only options to purchase it once more. Cliff is very busy and seem not to have the time to give quick answers.

Did 'you' lose the Premium mode when you updated SD3 Premium?  :tellme:

JimB

• Participant
    • Joined in 2009
    • default avatar
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #63 on: May 28, 2011, 03:59 PM »
    I wasn't aware the 2 version had a premium license ?

Curt

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2006
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #64 on: May 28, 2011, 05:41 PM »
    -I know: What can be misunderstood, will be misunderstood.
    I was talking about my first copy of version 3.

CliffCawley

• Honorary Member
    • Joined in 2009
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    « Reply #65 on: May 28, 2011, 08:04 PM »
    Do we have any users of Startup Delayer 3 Premium here?

When I updated from the first installed version, I lost the Premium features; SD3 rewinded itself back to be a Standard version. Nowhere can I find a place to paste my Premium license code (again), only options to purchase it once more. Cliff is very busy and seem not to have the time to give quick answers.

Did 'you' lose the Premium mode when you updated SD3 Premium?  :tellme:

Hi Curt,

If you used the Auto Update features of Startup Delayer it should have sent you straight to the premium version. If instead you visited the Website and didn't log into your account, then you would have downloaded the Standard version.

To get the Premium version again now, just log back into your account on the r2 site and visit the download page. The premium version will be available for you. In future when a new version is released, I'd suggest just clicking the Auto Update button in the Options window and it'll go get the premium version for you.

Cliff :)