ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Using Skype to Monitor Remote Systems

<< < (2/3) > >>

timns:
Wow, cool stuff you realised. :-)

Would it be possible to have the Skype DLL's on a server without really installing skype.
That way, we could create a monitoring system on servers that arn't really ours, but where we install a particulair software. :-)
-DeVamp (March 06, 2011, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you!

Unfortunately skype has to be running for this to work. You can launch it from within your software, but this probably means it would have to be installed on the machine in question.

lotusrootstarch:
Great tutorial. It's indeed a genius poor-man solution.  :Thmbsup:

timns:
@lotusrootstarch: very nice of you to say so.

I may make some small tweaks to the system over time. If so, I'll try to update the article accordingly.

JonBoy:
Wow, cool stuff you realised. :-)

Would it be possible to have the Skype DLL's on a server without really installing skype.
That way, we could create a monitoring system on servers that arn't really ours, but where we install a particulair software. :-)
-DeVamp (March 06, 2011, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you!

Unfortunately skype has to be running for this to work. You can launch it from within your software, but this probably means it would have to be installed on the machine in question.
-timns (March 06, 2011, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

If not wishing to formally install someone else's program (i.e. Skype) on a machine and mess with the registry, perhaps the portable edition of Skype could be part of the package one puts on the server:
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/skype_portable

Haven't read through XYNTservice documentation so don't know if there's a show-stopper right there.

What an intriguing notion - very inventive!

ddns:
Damm.  That is some impressive work - thanks for the excellent write-up.  Skype scripting and I do not get along.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version