ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > fSekrit

2011 status report

(1/4) > >>

f0dder:
OK, so I haven't done a helluva lot of work on fSekrit since the progress and thoughts threads was started. No lame excuses, just a lot of Real LifeTM :)

I've decided on Git for version control, as I've verified it can do the history split/merge I want for the "historic & private" version vs. the "new & public" one. Not entirely sure how to wrangle the grafting yet, but I know it can be done, and that's the important thing. I'm not entirely sure when to move things over to Git - or, rather, where to start the public history, as I've already moved the private repository to Git. I could do the remaining cleanup so there's no swear-words or other embarrassing stuff in the codebase and go public there, or I could do the minimum amount of work so there's a working & tested build (which is some effort) until the code base is released. Not entirely sure yet.

So, what's the status right now?

I've pretty much settled on the internal data representation I want for the next version of fSekrit, which will allow for things like multiple tabs in one document and future option expandability without requiring file-format changes. I've updated reader code for v1 and v2 of the fSekrit file format to read into this new internal representation, but I still need to settle on a serialized format of the internal v3 representation, and write load/save code for this. Not terribly complicated, but fairly boring - C# is so much easier than C++, just add [DataContract] and [DataMember] attributes and you're pretty much done :P. I'm considering whether I should just use Google's protobuf, but on the other hand one of the main selling points of fSekrit is compact size.

And then there's the other stuff from the Progress thread that haven't really been started yet. What I'm currently considering is to finalize "sekritCore", which means verifying that I've made correct flexibility decisions with regards to the v3 document format, finalizing v3 load/save code, and possibly get some unit testing in place for these core features (as far as I can tell, Googles' testing framework is the best bet for C++ code). Once that's done, opensource the project, and start picking away at the ToDo list, one feature at a time.

Any comments, or have people stopped using fSekrit for lack of updates? ;)

Stoic Joker:
I'm considering whether I should just use Google's protobuf, but on the other hand one of the main selling points of fSekrit is compact size.-f0dder (March 04, 2011, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Stay with C++ - Small and fast is (worth it) good! - Misery loves company...

cranioscopical:
I'm unqualified to comment on the technical aspects but am delighted to see fSekrit about to move forward.

Thanks for the time and effort that you put into it!

40hz:
One question: Why open source it? If you're going to be the sole coder and maintainer why bother to go that route with all the aggravation the 'open thing' so often brings with it?
 :)

f0dder:
I'm considering whether I should just use Google's protobuf, but on the other hand one of the main selling points of fSekrit is compact size.-f0dder (March 04, 2011, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Stay with C++ - Small and fast is (worth it) good! - Misery loves company...-Stoic Joker (March 04, 2011, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh, it's going to stay C++; there's protobuf, protobuf, everywhere :)

One question: Why open source it? If you're going to be the sole coder and maintainer why bother to go that route with all the aggravation the 'open thing' so often brings with it?
 :)-40hz (March 04, 2011, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's a vote of confidence kind of thing. No backdoors, hopefully no nasty bugs, ability to read the documents even when the world has moved from Windows to lunix and can no longer execute the .exe files, the possibility to accept patches from 3rd party developers (especially important since there's some features that plainly don't interest me).

And to ensure the program's life. I'm not going to stick around forever; hopefully for a while yet, but who knows if I might get de-persisted by a drunk bus driver tomorrow? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version