ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any XML gui tools out there?

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
A lot of my favorite programs have the ability to export xml files.  These same programs also have very poor printing capabilities.  So, somehow, I need to be able to print GOOD-LOOKING tables from the information in these programs.  I tried dealing with Excel's xml capabilities, but they are very convoluted.  I need a way to take an EXISTING xml file, and quickly be able to print it in a nice looking report.  I don't want to manipulate it in Excel for 15 minutes every time I want to print something.  Is there anything like this?

What I'm looking for is something that will allow me to map the xml elements, as far as what I want shown and what I don't want shown.  I don't want everything shown, usually there's way too much data there.  So I need to be able to hide things. Then, I need to be able to format everything: headers, fonts, background color, etc.  Then, when I do all this once, i need to be able to save it, and every other time I use an export from teh same program, i want it to spit out the nice looking things I set up.

Anything?

timns:
I have that feeling of deja vu... there was a similar thread recently and I think we mentioned such things as XSLT

I bet there's a few folks who could give you a hand with setting up a stylesheet, and once it's all set up, re-use and customisation should be a piece of cake. While falling off a log.

Renegade:
I have that feeling of deja vu... there was a similar thread recently and I think we mentioned such things as XSLT

I bet there's a few folks who could give you a hand with setting up a stylesheet, and once it's all set up, re-use and customisation should be a piece of cake. While falling off a log.
-timns (March 02, 2011, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know of any good, easy tools for XSLT development.

If the XML files are all the same type, then once you create the XSLT, you're good to go forever. However, if they are all different types, then you will need 1 XLST for each type.

But do check for XSL authoring tools as there might be something out there. I've done it by hand in the past, and don't know of any user-friendly authoring tools, but it doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Ath:
There's the input description: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/fo.html

And a graphical authoring tool: http://foa.sourceforge.net/

barney:
Tried FOA - similar need to superboyac's - but it opens only its own XML files or those created by WH2FO.

The FO stuff might work, but there's no time to learn a new scripting (?) language  :huh:.

Still searching ...  :(.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version