ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skwire Empire

Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

<< < (119/156) > >>

dhry:
Until then I always have my phone app.-dhry (January 09, 2019, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
:Thmbsup: and by tapping the Windows key the MS weather app in Start.
-RightPaddock (January 10, 2019, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't believe I have that. Win 7 here.

Dhry

Drugwash:
Looking here one realizes that whatever is still "free" in this world will not be so for much longer.
No idea if OpenWeatherMap provides what's needed for a direct replacement in current script, but there's nothing else in that list that could fit the bill, so I guess it's either that or nothing - because those yahoos at Yahoo, at this point, stand for nothing as far as I'm concerned.

TechTeacher:
I would like to say thank you for all your work over the years. This must have started as a passion project for you and turned into what it is now.

The problem is "free". It's been that way so long that people "expect it". I've been having this same discussion in UseNet groups about posting and expectations. Specifically, saying thank you.

When something is "free" for so long, it becomes a question of expectation of entitlement. Well that's not the case. The amount of time you have put in, and now the people bitching must make you feel that you have a chain and weight around your neck. I've been there on similar projects.

I've contribute to "free" projects when I can (limited funds), and I you CHOOSE to continue, then I'll do the same.  I hope that you do, but remember, you have no obligation to do so. All that I ask is if you do kill it, post the fact so we might know.

In the meantime, THANK YOU, for all your efforts.

Techteacher

theinfinitypoint:
Noticed the N/A in my sWeather tray and saw you are working on the solution.  Just wanted to speak up and thank you for keeping your awesome little program going!

skwire:
Looking here one realizes that whatever is still "free" in this world will not be so for much longer.-Drugwash (January 11, 2019, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

*shrug* See my explanation below.

No idea if OpenWeatherMap provides what's needed for a direct replacement in current script, but there's nothing else in that list that could fit the bill, so I guess it's either that or nothing - -Drugwash (January 11, 2019, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Again, though, since I don't track anything like that, I have no accurate idea how many API calls sWeather's install base uses.  However, I'm pretty positive the OpenWeatherMap free tier does not allow for the total amount of API calls that sWeather's install base would use.  Call it an educated hunch.  Regarding paying for API acces, for some of my apps I've released I do, in fact, pay out of my pocket for API access provided the fee is reasonable.  OpenWeatherMap's first paid tier is $40 per month.  While I'm happy to pay, say, ~$50/year for API access, I think $40 per month is a bit much to ask for an application I don't charge for.

because those yahoos at Yahoo, at this point, stand for nothing as far as I'm concerned.-Drugwash (January 11, 2019, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

So, this is where I differ from a lot of folks.  While I enjoy free APIs, I certainly don't expect companies to offer them.  Furthermore, if a company does offer them, and even if I use them for years, I don't get upset if a company discontinues them.  I just shrug and see if there is another option.  If there is not, I just shrug again and be thankful for the time it was freely available.  IMO, life is way too short to get all worked up over stuff like this.

I would like to say thank you for all your work over the years. This must have started as a passion project for you and turned into what it is now.-TechTeacher (January 11, 2019, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you, TechTeacher, you are very welcome.  I get an immense amount of enjoyment and satisfaction writing and releasing freeware and interacting with users.

The problem is "free". It's been that way so long that people "expect it". I've been having this same discussion in UseNet groups about posting and expectations.-TechTeacher (January 11, 2019, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, as I mentioned above, I am not the expectant or entitled type.  If it's free and suits the purpose, I'll use it.  If it goes away, I just shrug and move on.  No big deal to me.

When something is "free" for so long, it becomes a question of expectation of entitlement. Well that's not the case. The amount of time you have put in, and now the people bitching must make you feel that you have a chain and weight around your neck. I've been there on similar projects.-TechTeacher (January 11, 2019, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a really laid back guy so I never feel like it's a ball and chain but, yes, I do feel an obligation to make a good faith effort to fix bugs, fulfill feature requests, and do my general best to keep things working.  That said, since I choose to release my software as freeware, I never feel that I MUST do these things.  One gets what one pays for, eh?  I do have a full-time job that involves quite a bit of business travel, so I work on my freeware as time permits.  Conversely, this means I can also ignore things as I see fit and not feel too badly about it.  Hahahaha.   ;)

I've contribute to "free" projects when I can (limited funds), and I you CHOOSE to continue, then I'll do the same.  I hope that you do, but remember, you have no obligation to do so. All that I ask is if you do kill it, post the fact so we might know.-TechTeacher (January 11, 2019, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I haven't given up hope just yet.  I was looking at the "new" API and it is very similar to the original API that sWeather used when I first released it.  The original one was based on RSS feeds (without OAuth) before Yahoo! switched up to their YQL (Yahoo! Query Language) API and now it's back to RSS feeds (with OAuth, this time).  Hopefully, I hear something back this week so I can start working on things.  I don't travel this week, so I should have time once I get API access.

Noticed the N/A in my sWeather tray and saw you are working on the solution.  Just wanted to speak up and thank you for keeping your awesome little program going!
-theinfinitypoint (January 12, 2019, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, theinfinitypoint, I appreciate your kind words.   :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version