ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skwire Empire

Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

<< < (114/156) > >>

skwire:
Hi, kenor4, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

It is posiblle add more precis conversion for metric units? e.g.: one decimal place or optionally?  Thx!-kenor4 (November 19, 2018, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you mean for the temperatures?  If so, no, because I just display what the weather data feed gives me, i.e, I'm not rounding up or down.

kenor4:
Yes I thing temperature. i.e: 36°F show as 2.2 °C
But You answerd me. It's not possible. It's a shame. Thx for answer.

Drugwash:
Hey, Jody. Long time no see.  :)

Didn't know or care about weather 'gadgets' until recently - must've gotten old.  :-[
Found yours by reading the newsletter and got a few considerations after first run. Otherwise it's doing its job, looks nice and I'm grateful for it.  :Thmbsup:

Observations under XP-SP3 (with SP4 unofficial pack) using sWeather v1.7.5.1:
- when changing date/time format and enabling it, titlebar shows first day of month (01) and a time of 00:00 instead of current day and time.
- editing location name in the WOEIDs list does not instantly propagate to the main window even after enabling the checkbox below ("Display locations using names configured above…), as all other settings do; it only does after clicking "Save".
- barometer cannot be configured to show mm Hg (depends on Yahoo-provided data, maybe?)
- Neither the 'Full forecast' and 'Radar' nor the 'Powered by Yahoo' links do not show the actual URLs in statusbar when hovered, for consistency with the other fields that show converted data, and for paranoids/control freaks (like me).  :-[
- 'Last provider update' notification in statusbar shows local timezone time but it doesn't get updated in all situations (may be connection errors or something else - are these mentioned anywhere in statusbar? Or maybe it doesn't take winter time into account (where applicable). I had it show last update at 9:00 AM although it was well past 10 AM, and now it says last update at 1:00 PM and it's 2:30 PM). Also, time format should be synchronized with user settings for 12/24h so that 'Last update' time would also display in 12/24h format as selected by user for sunrise/sunset.
- neither main menu nor the tray menu are updated for the current session when a location was deleted from the WOEIDs list.
- since certain changes in settings require an application restart, such restart/reload option would be useful in main menu and in the tray menu.
- it takes a few seconds to close the settings window even when nothing was changed.
- main window's tray tooltip shows a blank line at the bottom - is that intentional or a bug?
- there is a 'close to tray' option but there is no 'minimize to tray', which I'd very much like, to unclutter the taskbar but keep the original function of the {x} button.
- my taskbar is at the top and somehow all regular tooltips in systray are positioned snapped to the top of the screen, which makes certain data hardly readable; could the tooltips be replaced with "fake" ones, maybe balloons or captionless GUIs?
- so many individual icons produce HDD fragmentation; best would be to convert each icon set to bitmap strip, embed these strips in the executable and load them as imagelists at runtime. Additional user-provided icon sets could be allowed, also in the form of image strip bitmaps.

That's about it, gotta go. Good luck ahead!  :Thmbsup:

skwire:
Hey, Jody. Long time no see.  :)-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's been a while, eh?  Good to hear from you.  =]

- when changing date/time format and enabling it, titlebar shows first day of month (01) and a time of 00:00 instead of current day and time.-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm...can't seem to make it do this but I'm sure I'm not clicking/setting things exactly as you are.

- editing location name in the WOEIDs list does not instantly propagate to the main window even after enabling the checkbox below ("Display locations using names configured above…), as all other settings do; it only does after clicking "Save".-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, each edit would take an extra refresh of the weather data (which I try to minimize).  I'll think about it.

- barometer cannot be configured to show mm Hg (depends on Yahoo-provided data, maybe?)-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Yahoo data doesn't provide it in that format.  I could probably do the math and add it as an option.

- Neither the 'Full forecast' and 'Radar' nor the 'Powered by Yahoo' links do not show the actual URLs in statusbar when hovered, for consistency with the other fields that show converted data, and for paranoids/control freaks (like me).  :-[-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good idea, and one I should be able to easily implement.

- 'Last provider update' notification in statusbar shows local timezone time but it doesn't get updated in all situations (may be connection errors or something else - are these mentioned anywhere in statusbar? Or maybe it doesn't take winter time into account (where applicable). I had it show last update at 9:00 AM although it was well past 10 AM, and now it says last update at 1:00 PM and it's 2:30 PM). Also, time format should be synchronized with user settings for 12/24h so that 'Last update' time would also display in 12/24h format as selected by user for sunrise/sunset.-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

This data comes directly from the feed.  I don't modify it at all.

- neither main menu nor the tray menu are updated for the current session when a location was deleted from the WOEIDs list.-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Cannot reproduce.  If I delete a location from the list and click save, the menu is updated for me.

- since certain changes in settings require an application restart, such restart/reload option would be useful in main menu and in the tray menu.-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Easy to add.

- it takes a few seconds to close the settings window even when nothing was changed.-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's almost certainly due to the weather data refresh it does after clicking the save button.  Slow internet connections would make this delay longer.

- main window's tray tooltip shows a blank line at the bottom - is that intentional or a bug?-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't see a blank line on mine.  Screenshot, please?

- there is a 'close to tray' option but there is no 'minimize to tray', which I'd very much like, to unclutter the taskbar but keep the original function of the {x} button.-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is easy enough to add.

- my taskbar is at the top and somehow all regular tooltips in systray are positioned snapped to the top of the screen, which makes certain data hardly readable; could the tooltips be replaced with "fake" ones, maybe balloons or captionless GUIs?-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'll consider it, but don't hold your breath.

- so many individual icons produce HDD fragmentation; best would be to convert each icon set to bitmap strip, embed these strips in the executable and load them as imagelists at runtime. Additional user-provided icon sets could be allowed, also in the form of image strip bitmaps.-Drugwash (December 06, 2018, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know you're not going to like this, but this isn't going to change.

As always, thanks for the feedback.   :Thmbsup:

Drugwash:
Glad to see you in shape and thank you for replying. :)

The date/time won't budge from Thu 01 January, 00:00 (shown in RO regional style), and if I set the format to LongDate it shows January 01, 1970. Which means it doesn't compute A_Now. Could be a problem with XP vs Win7 but I doubt it. The format I use is dddd dd MMMM, HH:mm, nothing fancy (see screenshot below).
EDIT: Date/time mystery is partly solved: my IE8 can't access the timezonedb API URL for some reason (tested by feeding the URL directly to IE's address bar), so URL_Get() returns a blank value, then unix2Human() returns an unaltered returnDate. No idea why my IE can't access that URL, maybe I tampered too much with its settings some time ago or maybe they just block IE versions lower than… dunno… 9? QtWeb does return the correct data from that URL so there's no firewall or anything blocking that particular URL.
/EDIT

each edit would take an extra refresh of the weather data
--- End quote ---
Not all edited fields would require a data refresh. City/town name, for example, shouldn't, it's just for display since the data is retrieved by WOEID if I'm not mistaken. Actually I think data refresh should be triggered only by the addition of a new City/WOEID and only for that one. Dunno how the script works, maybe you're not keeping the full data between timed refreshes and that's why it requires a refresh on each change in settings, and even when nothing was changed (clicking on {x} to close the settings window, not on 'Save').
And yes, I have a very slow connection (15kB/s most of the time, a metered 3G modem connection) so it does take some time on each refresh.

The Yahoo data doesn't provide it in that format.  I could probably do the math and add it as an option.
--- End quote ---
Air pressure format is not that important to me, if there's more request for that or it's easy to implement then yes, you may do that, otherwise make it a low priority.

Good idea, and one I should be able to easily implement.
--- End quote ---
In regard to showing links there's one more reason for me: the default browser (Pale Moon) starts up very slowly (more than a minute) due to many extensions and takes CPU to 100%, so for quick browsing I use another one (QtWeb) which is snappy. But clicking a link would fire up the default browser so I'd rather see the URL and type it down manually in QtWeb.
For the same reason I'd like a tooltip and/or statusbar URL shown for the info (i) button next to date/time, which I didn't know was going to fire up the default browser, and for the two statusbar icons as well (which opened two separate Pale Moon windows !!!, not two tabs in one window as I set it).
An idea would be to add a separate ActiveX control window acting like a mini-browser for all the links and let the user select whether to use that or the system default browser. I know, it'd complicate the script a little but it may prove useful in the long run. Your choice - it's just an idea. :)

This data comes directly from the feed.  I don't modify it at all.
--- End quote ---
OK, then I'll take it as is. Anyway, they say starting next year we won't be using winter time anymore so it won't be a problem for me. Not that it is a big one now anyway. :)

If I delete a location from the list and click save, the menu is updated for me.
--- End quote ---
I noticed the issue at first run after adding my location and then deleting the default location. Both were still shown in main menu and tray menu until I restarted the application. Now when adding and then deleting a location it does update both menus in real time. It may have to do only with the default location. Try running the script/app fresh without config file, add a random location then delete the default one, see if you can reproduce.

Here's the tooltip sporting the blank line; maybe there's data missing…?

And here's an idea of how a 'fake' tooltip could look like, it's from ForecastFox (an old-style extension for Firefox/Pale Moon):

I know you're not going to like this, but this isn't going to change.
--- End quote ---
You're right. That was the most important issue, that's why I left it last. I have less than 300MB free on the system partition and those icons would take way too much space - I had to place the app on another partition but I'd rather have all portable apps in one single location which is on the system partition.
May I please know the reason why you wouldn't consider using image strips? Copyright issues or something? Otherwise I could help with the code if you wanted, I've done that in some of my scripts.

Thank you for considering all other suggestions. Hopefully it won't be too much work. If you need any more info/testing/whatever you may contact me by e-mail (same nickname as here at mail.com); I don't have the Yahoo account anymore, can't use either Miranda IM or their own messaging app in XP so I deleted all my Yahoo accounts (and the GMail one).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version