ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In Western societies, how can a man have a hyphenated name? (and why!)

<< < (2/5) > >>

timns:
Well I normally just go by "timns", but if you want the full monty:

Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

app103:
Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache
-timns (March 02, 2011, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
* app103 blinks  

zridling:
Well I normally just go by "timns", but if you want the full monty:
Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache-timns (March 02, 2011, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

How about I call you "Leo" if we meet? Because I'm sure not putting that on an envelope, Timns!

I suppose there are reasons for doing so, though, still, it seems unnecessary. If parents and relatives are so vain as to feel the need to pass their name along, that's a pride of breeding issue. In the NFL, I figured players were hyphenating their names because they finally found out who their father was, since stats show the majority black children are raised in fatherless homes in the US.

Eóin:
Passing on surnames is crazy because unless you're the first generation it gets completely out of hand. If my great-grandparents did it for example I'd now have a stupid eight surnames.

After about 27ish generation peoples name would need a gigabyte of memory each  :D

app103:
Passing on surnames is crazy because unless you're the first generation it gets completely out of hand. If my great-grandparents did it for example I'd now have a stupid eight surnames.

After about 27ish generation peoples name would need a gigabyte of memory each  :D
-Eóin (March 02, 2011, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

You just gave me a flashback to childhood and the story of Tikki Tikki Tembow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version