ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Point About Grammar

<< < (5/17) > >>

Renegade:
Can I just make a comment about the word "alot?"

It's not a word at all  :o
-timns (March 02, 2011, 09:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

My pet peeve that drives me batty is hearing people (that are supposed to be somewhat intelligent, or at the least sentient) screw up number agreement. e.g. "There is 20 posts above." Ahem... "are" perhaps?

1. Not 1. 1. Not 1. Pretty simple, or at least you'd think so.

timns:
Can I just make a comment about the word "alot?"

It's not a word at all  :o
--- End quote ---

My pet peeve that drives me batty is hearing people (that are supposed to be somewhat intelligent, or at the least sentient) screw up number agreement. e.g. "There is 20 posts above." Ahem... "are" perhaps?

1. Not 1. 1. Not 1. Pretty simple, or at least you'd think so.
-Renegade (March 02, 2011, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

One would :)

cranioscopical:
It's not a word at all
--- End quote ---

You're right, it draws a poor reception — salotto rubbish.

app103:
On that topic though, one uncountable noun that has crept into being a countable noun that I find somewhat irritating is "beers". It's like "waters". It contracts "X bottles of beer" or "X glasses of beer" into "beers". It just seems like a sloppy bastardization to me.
-Renegade (March 02, 2011, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

So does that mean you'd be against me buying you a beer?

And just why is it <pause> that news folk feel <pause> the need to inject <pause> inappropriate pauses <pause> into almost every sentence spoken???  >:(
-cranioscopical (March 02, 2011, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because they are usually reading off a teleprompter and those pauses are when it's flipping to the next frame of text.  :D

Renegade:
On that topic though, one uncountable noun that has crept into being a countable noun that I find somewhat irritating is "beers". It's like "waters". It contracts "X bottles of beer" or "X glasses of beer" into "beers". It just seems like a sloppy bastardization to me.
-Renegade (March 02, 2011, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

So does that mean you'd be against me buying you a beer?
-app103 (March 03, 2011, 06:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oddly, that seems perfectly natural. The plural contraction doesn't. So sure, you can buy me a beer anytime~! :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version