ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Point About Grammar

<< < (3/17) > >>

mwb1100:
I'm curious about one thing in the original post - what's the problem with "mass nouns"?
-mwb1100 (March 02, 2011, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a matter of proper jargon and using the correct term. It would be like calling a hard drive a "stiff drive".
-Renegade (March 02, 2011, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not to say this necessarily means it's correct, but I recall "mass noun" being used back when I was in school, many many years ago.  And a quick search on Google nets the term being used in linguistics research papers (where correct terminology would be important, I'd think).  Could this be a situation where there might be more than on one correct name for a thing?  Like "hard drive"/"hard disk" or dirigible/airship.

dirigible?  What the hell made that word pop into my head?

Renegade:
This just seems bizarre...

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_noun[/url]w

I've read a LOT of books on grammar, and NEVER seen that. They have ALWAYS used "countable" to describe it.

Maybe it's an American English thing or is a newer term. Dunno.

On that topic though, one uncountable noun that has crept into being a countable noun that I find somewhat irritating is "beers". It's like "waters". It contracts "X bottles of beer" or "X glasses of beer" into "beers". It just seems like a sloppy bastardization to me.

Target:
the trouble with interpretising grammatical expression is that so much of it is contextual, and what is correct in one context is incorrect in another.

To use Stoic's example 7 chairs are countable or mass, whereas furniture is not.  But if you were referring specifically to the chairs you wouldn't say furniture, even though it is potentially correct.

cranioscopical:
Either way I have heard the news folk screw it up.
-Stoic Joker (March 02, 2011, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

And just why is it <pause> that news folk feel <pause> the need to inject <pause> inappropriate pauses <pause> into almost every sentence spoken???  >:(

Renegade:
Either way I have heard the news folk screw it up.
-Stoic Joker (March 02, 2011, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

And just why is it <pause> that news folk feel <pause> the need to inject <pause> inappropriate pauses <pause> into almost every sentence spoken???  >:(
-cranioscopical (March 02, 2011, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Their language buffers in their brains are too small, and they can't double buffer, so you get choppy playback. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version