ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Point About Grammar

<< < (2/17) > >>

cranioscopical:
It is disconcerting. I believe that part of the problem stems from misguided experiments in education, of which the pupils were more victims than beneficiaries. Then there's the decline in reading, and then the merging of multiple cultures (which has many, many benefits but...) and then…  Oh dear!

There is also the mildly amazing prevalence, among many who grumble, to point out that someone failed to use a spell checker. While some writing can be magical, the verification of spelling is unlikely to be so.

Having said all that, often we do seem able to decode what is meant by poorly framed expressions.

Target:
unfortunately we've come to accept that close enough is good enough, instead of saying that's wrong, do it again

("speliing"?  luckily I knew what you meant :o)

mwb1100:
I'm curious about one thing in the original post - what's the problem with "mass nouns"?

Renegade:
I'm curious about one thing in the original post - what's the problem with "mass nouns"?
-mwb1100 (March 02, 2011, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a matter of proper jargon and using the correct term. It would be like calling a hard drive a "stiff drive".

Stoic Joker:
-mwb1100 (March 02, 2011, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a matter of proper jargon and using the correct term. It would be like calling a hard drive a "stiff drive".-Renegade (March 02, 2011, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, I did have to google the term to find out what it was ... But that don't sound like it:

For example, the same set of chairs can be referred to as "seven chairs" and as "furniture"; though both chair and furniture are referring to the same thing, the former is a count noun and the latter a mass noun.-short answer
--- End quote ---

...Either way I have heard the news folk screw it up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version