ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Point About Grammar

<< < (15/17) > >>

Stoic Joker:
...Hell man we're in "The South" grammar is so far gone here "the yokels" get close captioned on the history/discovery channel...
-Stoic Joker (February 10, 2014, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
If that were true, then I would suggest that the captions might be for the hard of hearing.
If it were not true, then it's a very droll remark.
-IainB (February 10, 2014, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The accents really are that bad. They can be heard just fine...but they must be translated for those unfamiliar with the tendency to jumble an entire sentence into a single (somewhat long) "word".

Stoic Joker:
Don't know where you are.  I'm in 'the South of Florida'.  Not The South or The Deep South.  That begins to end up around the border.
Back when the History and Discovery channels had less *reality* crap they had shows referring to The South.  Never mentioned Florida.
It was always Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Carolinas ..-crabby3 (February 10, 2014, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm in the middle of central Florida. And while "The South" might officially end at the border...straying more than a mile or so off the interstate around here will bring one up to speed real fast about how far south The South really goes. We're talking Rebel flags, Confederate money, a 5th grade education, and 3 teeth per family - that's extended on both sides (assuming there are actually 2 sides...) mind you.

There are places in the national forest here that the cops won't go into with less than 3 vehicles in a caravan.

IainB:
...The accents really are that bad. They can be heard just fine...but they must be translated for those unfamiliar with the tendency to jumble an entire sentence into a single (somewhat long) "word"...
-Stoic Joker (February 10, 2014, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Gosh, then the language has become rather like a local dialect. Mind you, American-English is arguably a dialect of received English anyway.

crabby3:
Don't know where you are.  I'm in 'the South of Florida'.  Not The South or The Deep South.  That begins to end up around the border.
Back when the History and Discovery channels had less *reality* crap they had shows referring to The South.  Never mentioned Florida.
It was always Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Carolinas ..-crabby3 (February 10, 2014, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm in the middle of central Florida. And while "The South" might officially end at the border...straying more than a mile or so off the interstate around here will bring one up to speed real fast about how far south The South really goes. We're talking Rebel flags, Confederate money, a 5th grade education, and 3 teeth per family - that's extended on both sides (assuming there are actually 2 sides...) mind you.

There are places in the national forest here that the cops won't go into with less than 3 vehicles in a caravan.
-Stoic Joker (February 10, 2014, 05:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is above Orlando?  We have Rebels, counterfeit money, many GED's and no teeth per.

We have the Everglades but the cops don't bother chasing.  There's only a few places with semi-potable water any time of year.
If the perps are driving... there's only one western exit... with cops waiting.  Most turn around and face the music.

4wd:
On SBS World News here, we sometimes get stories with subtitles for interviews with people in Africa - who are speaking understandable English.  They might then have a news story from somewhere in the UK where, because it's Scotland, Yorkshire, etc, you have to wonder wtf they saying even though it's meant to be English ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version