ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Point About Grammar

<< < (12/17) > >>

40hz:
Save-the-Jewels erm..Marbles Therapy, huh?

Ok...I'll give it a try. Can't be to careful when it comes to issues of health.

However, I'll pass on the Martinis if you don't mind.

Make mine Stout, Bock (hey, ya gotta eat too!), or a nice microbrewed Dark Ale.

As long as it's dark and complex - and looks like there's a good chance some "pond life" lurking in it -  I'm in! ;D

cranioscopical:
a good chance some "pond life" lurking in it
-40hz (March 04, 2011, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good and newtricious!

Renegade:
Perhaps not entirely off topic (for a change)

To the many of you who have sent me personal messages enquiring with such concern as to why I am so dopey a (and here I'll paraphrase — there are simply too few asterisks available on my keyboard) fellow. This could be the answer:

Research by the British National Formulary (BNF), which advises doctors, nurses and pharmacists, found labelling that has been around for decades is now too difficult for members of the public to understand.

It found phrases such as "may cause drowsiness" are no longer "readily understood" and should now be simplified to say "this medicine may make you sleepy".
--- End quote ---

and, just to add further clarity

Likewise, the phrases "avoid alcoholic drink" and "take at regular intervals" caused indecision among modern takers.

The report recommends the labels should now read "do not drink alcohol while taking this medicine" and "space the doses evenly throughout the day".
--- End quote ---

For those of you who feel that this does not explain my mental state fully, I offer the following:

Drinking a glass of wine a day or a pint of beer can cut the chance of developing dementia by almost a third, according to researchers.
--- End quote ---

So, in future, I'll go for a few bottles of each beverage. That should fix it!
-cranioscopical (March 04, 2011, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's sad that so many people are basically illiterate and perfectly clear instructions need to be dumbed down that much.

Stoic Joker:
You can bet your ass there is a lawyer behind it. Because (in reality) nobody is really that dumb ... But if the obvious can be muddied a bit in court...

Anybody dense enough to actually be confused by those instructions, would probably best serve the human race as a Darwin Award recipient.

Renegade:
You can bet your ass there is a lawyer behind it. Because (in reality) nobody is really that dumb ... But if the obvious can be muddied a bit in court...

Anybody dense enough to actually be confused by those instructions, would probably best serve the human race as a Darwin Award recipient.
-Stoic Joker (March 04, 2011, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 and +1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version