topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Ubuntu: Where Did the Love Go?  (Read 17610 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ubuntu: Where Did the Love Go?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Ubuntu did experiments from release 7.10 onwards i guess. Apple like window theme skin was one experiment they still continue to do.

That's merely a downloadable theme that's part of GNOME or KDE. KDE has them for OSX, Vista, XP, Win7, in case users either like those schemes or want to ease the transition from Windows/Apple. I consulted in a marketing office that ran Fedora/KDE but used an Apple theme that had Apple's dock.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 04:12 PM »
OK everybody? He never said that!

Guess that's the mechanism. Just repeat the lie often enough and it sticks out there in the ether someplace.

To me all the political parties are the same.  They just come up with different excuses to raid the treasury.  They are all the "Pillage Party" as far as I can see.  They should put all the anarchists on the moon and see if it works. :)

edit: I am talking about how it is in USA where the 2 parties have the game all locked up. I've never lived under a parliamentary system, benign dictatorship(in the oxymoron list I'm sure) or tribal system.  Maybe they are more tolerant of individuals getting over. I dunno'. :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 04:42 PM by MilesAhead »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 05:38 PM »
To me all the political parties are the same.

+1  :Thmbsup:

From Ambrose Bierce's famous The Devil's Dictionary:

POLITICS, n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.

POLITICIAN, n. An eel in the fundamental mud upon which the superstructure of organized society is reared. When we wriggles he mistakes the agitation of his tail for the trembling of the edifice. As compared with the statesman, he suffers the disadvantage of being alive.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 08:43 PM »
To me all the political parties are the same.

+1  :Thmbsup:

From Ambrose Bierce's famous The Devil's Dictionary:

POLITICS, n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.

POLITICIAN, n. An eel in the fundamental mud upon which the superstructure of organized society is reared. When we wriggles he mistakes the agitation of his tail for the trembling of the edifice. As compared with the statesman, he suffers the disadvantage of being alive.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 10:01 PM »
I personally think the biggest problem for some dragons in the Linux community is that Shuttleworth is not out to personally destroy Microsoft, or humble Bill Gates, like they are.
Well...
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

I believe part of the problem is this, and I wish I could explain lucidly and at length why I feel this way, but:
Those who don’t understand Unix are doomed to reinvent it, poorly.
– Henry Spencer

There's a reason or three I'm still running Xubuntu 9.10, and haven't blindly upgraded like I have (and regretted) in the past.
Why?
So far, there's nothing the newer versions offer that I don't already have, and plenty I don't want.
More and more of the core systems are getting dependent on stuff I don't want, don't need, or are just a bad idea IMO, and I'm getting less choice in the bargain.
Stuff like PulseAudio infecting everything, NetworkManager doing a BLASTED job of managing my network, WTH does ConsoleKit actually do besides spamming up the process tree, UbuntuOne not letting VLC in on their party, all of these things are only the tip of the iceberg.

Don't get me wrong, everybody here knows I love Linux.
I love what it stands for, I love the freedom it gives me, I love the software that wouldn't have been possible otherwise, and yes, I greatly appreciate what Ubuntu has done for the Linux community.
But I'm not afraid to pull off the fanboy mask and face just how soiled the penguin's undies have gotten lately.
More and more it's beginning to feel like a bunch of capricious but oh-so-functional hacks piled in and bolted on like Frankenstein parts to something that was at one time elegant and promising.

I wish I could have listened to the original presentation, but if any of THIS is to be believed, I may keep the Windows on any new computer I purchase, just for insurance.
Lennart Poettering seems to think it's FUD, but everything in that paper and slideshow has been bugging me about Ubuntu and Linux in general since at least 7.10.
I wish I had a Big Ideatm that would take all this, unify it in purpose and utility, then implement cleanly so we can all decide if Linux is just a more advanced Unix, or something else entirely to Unix like Windows was to DOS.
...But I just don't have the time, intelligence or resources, and the job is too multi-faceted for one guy to do much about anyways.

I don'tknow if any of this is reason for the slide in Ubuntu's popularity, but it certainly gives ME a case of chronic facepalm.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:06 PM by Edvard »