ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I have to admit defeat ... I cannot format a hard drive ...

<< < (4/4)

Cloq:
I think it was more or less to keep us assembly language guys from getting paranoid after locking up the machine again. :)  I was too poor to get a break-out switch. Had to cycle the power every time. :)

-MilesAhead (February 28, 2011, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

a bit OT..

Heh! Reminds me of when my buddy was trying to teach me the basics of assembly programming on an XT machine, problem was I built the machine from cannibalized parts from other broken machines and the damn thing would always shock me (whenever I missed the a key on the metal keyboard) and then freeze up.  ;D :mad:

Played Power cycle (hoping I wouldn't get shocked due to missing paint around the switch).. bzzt.. atleast a few times an hour.  :-* I can tell you a lot of cussing was involved.

Never did learn assembly between the cussing and him leaving a few weeks later (heard he ended up getting hitched a couple months later in Holland).

MilesAhead:
@Cloq   Sounds like the Pavlovian approach to assembler wasn't efficacious. That's really learning the hard way!

[url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php]

barney:
Hey,

Quick update.  Got a message from my HD recovery friend.  It seems there was a flutter in the drive motor  :huh:, and that was what was causing all the errors.  I'll take his word for it, this is his field of expertise ... but ... flutter  :huh:?  Sounds just a step or two down from the old Iomega ZIP drive click of death  :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version