ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should ebook users have any rights?

<< < (2/5) > >>

jaden:
Remote deletion already happened on the Kindle.  Here's the NY Times article about it: Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle

Renegade:
Remote deletion already happened on the Kindle.  Here's the NY Times article about it: Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle
-jaden (February 28, 2011, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Justin Gawronski, a 17-year-old from the Detroit area, was reading “1984” on his Kindle for a summer assignment and lost all his notes and annotations when the file vanished. “They didn’t just take a book back, they stole my work,” he said.
--- End quote ---

Kid has a very good point there. I wish that he'd pressed criminal charges against Amazon. A conviction would send a message that I think is needed.

wraith808:
-jaden (February 28, 2011, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, yes.  But my question was the kindle apps.  You know, for the PC, iPhone, Android... do they have the same sort of hooks in there?  Is it the Kindle as an e-book platform, or the Kindle as a hardware platform?

zridling:
Just because ebooks are in a digital format doesn't mean they should be treated with the same restrictions that govern OSX or MS Windows. You can't buy those, only license them. I don't want rent-a-book, I want own-a-book in a format I can take to any device, anytime, anywhere. In other words, the same liberties I have with a paperback.

superboyac:
Just because ebooks are in a digital format doesn't mean they should be treated with the same restrictions that govern OSX or MS Windows. You can't buy those, only license them. I don't want rent-a-book, I want own-a-book in a format I can take to any device, anytime, anywhere. In other words, the same liberties I have with a paperback.
-zridling (February 28, 2011, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is not necessarily a <good> solution.  But why not buy the hardcover, and download the pdf's for your devices?  I just did that for Calvin and Hobbes collection, which I have every single version including the latest complete one.  But now I can read it on my ipad in a coffee shop (those books are HUGE).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version