ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (33/35) > >>

barney:
the lack of progress over 6 years, posting maintenance as something new (new as in refreshingly or innovatively new, as defined by most normal people) during a publicly advertised fundraiser event such as this, then as I said I have no issues with you and am not bound to answer any of your questions
-lotusrootstarch (March 07, 2011, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Lack of progress?  Only by your rather inadequate definitions.  Progress has been defined, although it has not seemed to meet your somewhat sketchy standards.

As defined by most normal people?  Methinks you assume a great deal with that one.  Scratch most any person on the planet and you can get a new definition of most normal people, usually based upon the biases and likes of the scratchee.

Not bound to answer any of your questions?  No, you are not.  Nor have you.  You've re-purposed a few, ignored most, given generic, nonspecific answers to most that you bothered to acknowledge.

You are, sir or madam, an accomplished rabble-rouser.  That may be a satisfying thing to you, but does little to accomplish any constructive end here - or elsewhere, I suppose.  While a negative contribution is still a contribution, 'tis rare that it provides any positive result.

lotusrootstarch:
because I am concerned about the site.

I don't want to see this site brought down as so many have been by sock puppets who are unwilling to have reasoned, rational, respectful conversations and be held accountable for their words and actions
-wraith808 (March 07, 2011, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good thing that you brought all these words to my screen, I'm also concerned about the site same as you do, however I interpret these words in a different context:

There was barely any reasoned approach to hosting this fundraiser. Look how hastily everything (if any) was scrambled before March - there was no highlight, there was no pledge (till half a day before March 1), there wasn't even a polished fundraiser page till last minute. Even now I can see that the majority of the pledge slots have not yet been filled.

If there's anything rational about this "announce it first, do it later one way or another" event, I just can't see it. "Makeshift" is the word I'll use to describe it, rather than "economical".

Tell me how uploading an maintenance release of an app that has been here since 2005 as "major new release" show we are being any respectful to our donors? Are we not now already taking the donations for granted?

mouser:
Some people you just can't please.. that's ok, I don't think it's very productive to argue with lotus any more.

For the rest of the readers.. the fundraiser is something we do to celebrate the daily work that goes into the site every day.  The last fundraiser was 2 years go.  We always try to come up with some special stuff to do during these events but really they are just a little icing on the cake.  The fundraiser is a time for us to be proud of what we've done since the last fundraiser and ask for the people who appreciate the site to be part of it's community and help support it going forward and get some satisfaction out of it.

So let's have fun and be proud of what we do -- and always try to do better, and not get drawn into petty fighting with people who aren't helping :)

wraith808:
because I am concerned about the site.

I don't want to see this site brought down as so many have been by sock puppets who are unwilling to have reasoned, rational, respectful conversations and be held accountable for their words and actions
-wraith808 (March 07, 2011, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Tell me how uploading an maintenance release of an app that has been here since 2005 show we are being any respectful to our donors? Are we not now already taking the donations for granted?
-lotusrootstarch (March 07, 2011, 09:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps you are taking the donations for granted, but as someone who pays out of his own pocket for a site that several people use, I can tell you that I'm sure mouser isn't taking them for granted.  Again, you are looking at it as a singular service for pay, and that's not what it is at all.  The 31 days of events is to highlight the fundraiser, not to pay for funds.  If you get into that logic, then they are not donations, are they?

And don't think I don't see that you re-purposed the words that I wrote, instead of taking them in the spirit that they were given.  Your style of debate is pretty sketchy.  More dodge and avoid rather than attempt to understand at all.  What is the purpose in such a discourse if there is not a two-way flow of information and ideas?

But, let's let that slide.  As mouser said, this has degenerated to the point that there's no productivity or value from the conversation (or lack thereof).

lotusrootstarch:
That's ok mouser I think my role now is just to give donors a big picture, not really to join these kind of petty arguments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version