ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (30/35) > >>

nosh:
I suspected we would all be found answerable for our actions.

mouser:
:)

I like to see when we can turn negativity into opportunities to improve and have fun -- I think it's an important part of living a good life.

Now regarding banning users.. We have to ban several users per day for trying to spam the forum -- usually by sticking advertising links in their profiles that no one ever sees -- so there is plenty of banning that happens, but never for anything other than advertisement spamming.

Now.. Every forum has different policies for how to handle people that the moderators think are just interested in disrupting things and upsetting people; my belief is that banning should be used as a very last resort and is almost never needed (the only time might be if someone is constantly posting stuff they have been asked not to over and over and won't stop).  I think these things tend to run their course and that people should be allowed to have their say, even if we disagree with them.

Sometimes it can feel like a person is making personal attacks or is just attempting to make the site look bad to new visitors -- and that's where some moderators tend to think that a ban is appropriate -- as a way of showing that we are not on the "side" of the attacker.  And sometimes i know that others on the forum wish someone would be banned because they judge that person has no aims other than to cause trouble and is harming the positive tone of the site -- and they plead with mods that someone be banned.

As good intentioned as the mods are in these cases, i maintain that banning people in cases like this, just like locking/deleting disruptive threads, often just exacerbates the problem, and so best to just let things run their course and try to make lemonade out of lemons.

Looks like this was a case of a mod just trying to protect the forum by banning lotus; as well intentioned as it was, i removed the ban when i was told about it just because i don't think it solves anything.

It's not the first time (and won't be the laste) that we've banned someone and removed the ban when cooler heads prevailed.  Or deleted/locked a post when we realize later we shouldn't have.  It's not a conspiracy just a normal consequence of having human beings making the judgment calls when it comes to moderating the site.  When we make mistakes we try to correct them :)

Now back to the Scarlett Johanssons and Leelee Sobieskis..  Is someone suggesting we hire them to do the website redesign? Or replace Cody as our new spokespeople?  I'll discuss the idea with the moderators and we'll discuss a severance package for Cody should he be made redundant.  Please have them call me to schedule an interview.  I will try to find some time to meet with them and discuss possible positions.

rgdot:
Now back to the Scarlett Johanssons and Leelee Sobieskis..  Is someone suggesting we hire them to do the website redesign? Or replace Cody as our new spokespeople?  I'll discuss the idea with the moderators and we'll discuss a severance package for Cody should he be made redundant.  Please have them call me to schedule an interview.  I will try to find some time to meet with them and discuss possible positions.
-mouser (March 07, 2011, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

With them you wouldn't need a redesign, just their presence...
Speaking of which I would suggest her instead  :D

mahesh2k:
Please have them call me to schedule an interview.  I will try to find some time to meet with them and discuss possible positions.
--- End quote ---
:up:

I want 'babe of the day' mod on doco forums and this is serious request  >:(

:D

barney:
@nosh, @PhilB66, @Ath,
You've all been moved to the questionable conversation list  :P :P :P.
-barney (March 07, 2011, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why, because we are (hetro) males that like the looks of these fine young-ladies? :'(
-Ath (March 07, 2011, 09:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nope.

'Cause you're judging by appearance  :-*, not content  :P.
'Sides, while you are hetero males, I seem to recall a few distaff (Wonder how that word evolved  :tellme:?) members, and they might not look with pleasure 'pon such a redesign - unless, maybe, you included a hunk of the day, as well  :P.

Now regarding banning users.. We have to ban several users per day for trying to spam the forum -- usually by sticking advertising links in their profiles that no one ever sees -- so there is plenty of banning that happens, but never for anything other than advertisement spamming.
-mouser (March 07, 2011, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Total agreement  :up:.  Even extreme language or attitude(s) are seldom a valid cause for such an action, although I've been in forae that were pretty casual about using the process  :Wizard: .  As an enforcement, it is well nigh useless - too easy to rejoin with a different alias/email address.  And if a reputation for banning is acquired, some folk will avoid joining just for that reason.

Oh, yeah ... if we divest ourselves of all the critics, how will we know what to consider when re-evaluating design & function  :huh:.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version