ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (20/35) > >>

mahesh2k:
I agree SMF upgrade should be there.

Although a modern look is not essential for this site in my opinion, simply because the site lives from its great community, it certainly is a pity and could turn off new users.
--- End quote ---
We're using same theme and maybe same version for more than 2-3 years i guess.

tomos:
on the "looks" front:

Although a modern look is not essential for this site in my opinion, simply because the site lives from its great community, it certainly is a pity and could turn off new users.
--- End quote ---
We're using same theme and maybe same version for more than 2-3 years i guess.
-mahesh2k (March 03, 2011, 04:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I personally dont see that as a problem - I think the site looks really good (it's nudone's artwork that makes it, but I mean that in general too).
Do you, mahesh2k, phitsc (or anyone), really think people wouldnt come back because the theme isnt changed :tellme: or because it isnt 'modern'?
I'm curious actually - any examples of a 'modern' forum (looks-wise) ?
Most of the forums I visit are software related and are bog-standard/out-of-the-box = ugly as sin :)

(dont get me wrong, I'm not against any change to the theme & or forum software - I presume, as said above, that a forum upgrade would bring improvements and be better for the future of the site, etc.)

phitsc:
Do you, mahesh2k, phitsc (or anyone), really think people wouldnt come back because the theme isnt changed :tellme: or because it isnt 'modern'?
I'm curious actually - any examples of a 'modern' forum (looks-wise) ?
Most of the forums I visit are software related and are bog-standard/out-of-the-box = ugly as sin :)
-tomos (March 03, 2011, 06:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely not. As I said, I think the people that make up the DC community are here because these are such a great bunch of people.

On the other hand, think of sites such as lifehacker, sourceforge or xda-developers. All of these have received a major overhaul look-wise in the last one or two years. And this even though they all have a very large "community" that I'm sure would not leave just because these sites did not look modern any more. To be honest, I don't know why these sites decided to change their look other than just to show the community that they don't stand still. I don't know if with the changes also came functional enhancements. I don't know if the changes also concerned the base. But I certainly noticed that they did change.

I would assume though that these sites have other financial possibilities, and are not run by only a handful of people.

Stoic Joker:
Let's see app, how much can you sell a Toyota Camry 2000 in 2010, same config?-lotusrootstarch (March 03, 2011, 04:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Who cares? They're disposable crap cars. Now what would a completely original 65 Mustang fastback, 53 Corvette split window, or a 57 Chevy sell for these days?!? (hehe)

Some "Classics" actually do stand the test of time. Because (they actually have substance) their value isn't based on their scrap weight. We're not exactly trying to compete with the fashion tragic FaceBook crowd here now are we?

This grandstanding carrot-on-a-stick game is childish. If you really have so many grand ideas, then share a few. So they can be viewed on their own merit. Nobody really saw a problem with the Conestoga wagon trains...until they saw the new trains being pulled by a steam locomotive. Show us that kind of leap (which you purport to have - If you are only bowed to...).

...Then (and only then), if the idea is shot down, you will have fair reason to bitch (IMO).

mahesh2k:
Do you, mahesh2k, phitsc (or anyone), really think people wouldnt come back because the theme isnt changed tellme or because it isnt 'modern'?
--- End quote ---

I don't think theme/software has anything to do with people signing up or donating. But it's just for improving the DC look and feel. I don't know if they'll stick or comeback to forums because of just modification in theme or upgrading to latest SMF. Most of the dev/designers/regular users of DC don't care about the looks of any forum. They stick to the forums for other reasons. But i can't say the same for new users or lurkers who rarely post on forums. Definitely worth to take poll on this point to know what new users think about look and feel of DC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version