ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (18/35) > >>

lotusrootstarch:
About phitsc's post ...

Interesting concepts ... and the first real specifics that have been mentioned, methinks  :-\.  Generalities of the, "You should do better," nature don't really admit of much discussion.  When the what could be better is specified, then there are grounds for discourse.  To date, save for your comments, I haven't seen any  :o.

But, then, I am significantly myopic  :D.

I'm also very late to reply, sorry  :-[.
-barney (March 01, 2011, 06:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

barney, the specifics mentioned have been the subject of discussion since ages ago on the forum and chatroom and such "What I've been thinking about doing xxx/yyy..." topics have been from time to time brought up for various reasons. Judging from previous such events, I predict that we'll continue to debate on the same things at the next fundraiser.

barney:
Oh, one (1) other thing.

I think I've seen the DC main page three (3) times since I've been here.  Mostly I, like many others I know, respond to RSS feeds, because I just don't have time to browse, even the sites that interest me.  An RSS feed, on the other hand, takes me directly to the posts of interest to me, but allows me to filter the posts that, while probably very interesting, don't have some bearing on where I'm going at the time.

Perhaps I'm missing a lot with that course, but it seems to have worked so far.  So, if you do make significant changes in the areas mentioned, RSS 'em  :P :P.

Armando:
On a practical note (not directly related to the dialogue here, but on-topic).

One thing that has bothered me over the years is -
sometimes people put a lot of effort into gathering info about a particular subject. Think of Steven Avery's list of software free for business use. Crush's and my list of Disc Catalogers. I'm sure there's others. These tend to die a death because the load of maintaining them is too much/too boring/too whatever, for one person.
I would love to see some sort of a wiki aspect/area that this kind of thing could be moved to. Re Stephen's efforts, I posted an index of sorts here. As I say in that post "It's a brilliant resource, it deserves as much promotion as it can get !!". If it were a wiki it could continually be updated and would get better and better known - instead of sinking into oblivion...

This may have been suggested before (I believe it was but only casually) and certainly doesnt fit into the forum setting, and I have no idea about the technicalities but I'm just throwing it out here again.

Re Reviews -
I can see why the reviews section (full- as opposed to mini-) died a death - too much work.
I wonder could a wiki style section be good for that too? Give it a structure - e.g. add your pros and cons.
-tomos (February 28, 2011, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same as Tom here. It was probably discussed before, maybe was it even discussed 100s of times. Who knows... In any case, the wiki model for reviews and in depth discussions about certain type of software would be nice. Many threads here could serve as starting points to some of these wiki entries.

nudone:
to me, it looks like the fundraiser is already a great success, so...

...does this mean that DC is perfectly fine, i.e. why try and fix it when it works so well?

admittedly, perhaps the fundraiser would be an even greater success if the site were "different", but it could easily be a total disaster too. (i fear a dramatic site change could mean losing long time DC'ers if they felt alienated.)

perhaps we should just love the chaos and charm that is DC. it's organic, it has faults, it has merits, it has a life of its own and, maybe, we are best just letting it evolve naturally without going into hasty genetic modifications.

perhaps part of DC's charm is that it is "wrong". we all live with and accept the flaws because it's worth it for all the exceptional things that are here too. maybe all the negative aspects of the site that have been mentioned thoughout the forum recently are necessary - they act as a filter or barrier - if you haven't the love or patience to see past them then you are better off going elsewhere.

over the past few days i'd been thinking that change was a good idea. now, i think slow evolution or even contented stagnation is better. i'm probably too sentimentally attached though.

mahesh2k:
How about support wiki pages for the software hosted on DC ? I mean there are many threads which are solving problems but it's always better to sort those problems/answers by version. Just a thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version